Updating Aging Databases

• Phil Factor (10/30/2008)

Hey, Phil. Do you do those every five year service calls for FREE? I'll bet not...

[p]David,[/p]

[p]Yes, I do them for free. [/p]

[p]...and your analogy with cars and suchlike won't wash either. I have a 1958 Massey Ferguson Tractor that works as well as the day I bought it, and it works hard too. When something breaks, I can get spares. I've got all the bits that go with it too, even a 1958 trailer. Although it is old enough to be a 'heritage item' (I'm even older, sadly), and thereby tax exempt (Hmm.. idea there) it does the same work just as well as it did when it first came out of the factory. Even my cars are so old that they're likely to escape a proposed UK 'carbon gas-guzzlers tax'. [/p]

[p]I'd be crazy to 'upgrade' them. Daft![/p]

I bet you do not farm 100+x times as many hectares now as you did in 1958 though! Would you want to stick with SQL 6.0 just because the application work with a half a terrabyte database?

My main reason for pushing upgrades, is to be able to find people to work for my company. Hard to find people that want to work on 13 year old system.

• Anders, move to Denver, I'll help you manage those older systems. I enjoyed v6.5!

Viewing 2 posts - 46 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply