update sql server 2000 from sql server 2005 using linked server

• Hello everybody,

When I do the next update in a sql server 2005 trying to update a table in an sql server 2000 using a linked server (vsql5) I always have the same result.

The query is:

UPDATE VSQL5.PHZED.DBO.SUBSCRIPCION

SET ITEMS = ITEMS + 1 ---

FROM VSQL5.PHZED.DBO.SUBSCRIPCION C , TEMP_SUB T

WHERE C.COD_SUBSCRIPCION = T.COD_SUBSCRIPCION

AND T.COD_PRODUCTO IN (1,2)

An I always have the error:

Executed as user: SMS2\Administrator. Cannot get the data of the row from the OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "VSQL5". [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 7346)  OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "VSQL5" returned message "Row handle referred to a deleted row or a row marked for deletion.".

Can anyone help me or give me a hint?

Thanks in advance!

• I am having similar problem. I am updating 2000 from 2005 and I get the following error

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ServerName" returned message "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.".

Msg 16955, Level 16, State 2, Line 1

Could not create an acceptable cursor.

• try create unique index in your remote table... i did that and the problem never appears anymore.

• Julia, try a slightly different syntax:

UPDATE C

SET ITEMS = ITEMS + 1 ---

FROM VSQL5.PHZED.DBO.SUBSCRIPCION C 

INNER JOIN TEMP_SUB T

ON C.COD_SUBSCRIPCION = T.COD_SUBSCRIPCION

AND T.COD_PRODUCTO IN (1,2)

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Had same proble updating across a linked server.

A unique index did not work for me. I got it to work by:

Creating a temporary table in remote db then did a

INSERT INTO [tempremotetable]

select ... from [localtable]

Then update the remote table from the tempremotetable.

• I have the same problem. I have a scheduled job on a SQL Server 2005 that deletes some data on a linked server which is SQL Server 2000.

The weird part is the job only fails 5% of the time, most of the time the job runs fine.

• I had the same problem and worked around it by wrapping the DML statement in a proc on the remote machine then just calling the proc from the 2005 box.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply