Unknown backup taken

• Dear Experts

I made a maintenance plan and it works well, until trying to restore this backup in a testing area, a message raised about broken LSN

I opened the backup and restore reports and i found a strange backup taken as the attached file

This backup is taken by NT authority system, the physical drive looks strange to me and device type is 7 which is unknown to me also

Any advice, what is this backup and how to stop it

Thanks lot

• It's the application Backup Exec. The sysadmin probably has it configured to back SQL Server up as well as the machine. Have a chat with him and make sure you don't have two things backing the DB up.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Dear sir

Thanks for replying

I didn't get you sorry , our application is a medical application and it doesn't make backup, and

I should be the admin and i own the sa user and i should be the only one who is responsible for backups, is this means that someone has a different password and capable to take backups, but why the physical device name looks strange and not as a path D:any advice how to stop or prevent this , is it possible to restrict any backups for any user except sa

Thank you very much

• What Gail is saying is that this backup was taken by the product Backup Exec. It's separate backup software. The network administrators probably have it configured to back up the databases. You'll want to talk to them and see if you can get them to stop it.

The good thing is that you discovered this when doing a test restore and not a production one.

• Thanks for replying

Kindly would you mind to explain to me what is " product Backup Exec "

and I will check with network administrators

Thank you very much

• A product (software product) named "Backup Exec". It's a backup tool used to back up files and machines.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply