UNIQUE constraint mystery

• Hi everyone,

Running SQL 2008R2 Standard with SP2, and db comparability level = 90 (SQL 2005).

Perhaps someone can shed light on this mystery I discovered. I have a table defined with a UNIQUE CONSTRAINT:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[t1]

(

[col1] [int] IDENTITY(1, 1) NOT NULL

,[ProcessedDate] [datetime] NULL

,[col3] [int] NOT NULL

,CONSTRAINT [UQ_T1_Col1_ProcessedDate_Col3] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED ([col1] ASC, [ProcessedDate] ASC, [col3] ASC)

WITH ( PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON ) ON [PRIMARY]

)

ON [PRIMARY]

GO

You will notice that IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, however, there are a number of dupes in the table. If I drop the constraint and re-apply, it fails with unique constraint violation.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how this seemingly contradictory condition came to be?

Thanks,

SQLNYC

• my apologies, that should have been without the IDENTITY:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[t1]

(

[col1] [int] NOT NULL

,[ProcessedDate] [datetime] NULL

,[col3] [int] NOT NULL

,CONSTRAINT [UQ_T1_Col1_ProcessedDate_Col3] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED ([col1] ASC, [ProcessedDate] ASC, [col3] ASC)

WITH ( PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON ) ON [PRIMARY]

)

ON [PRIMARY]

GO

• It appears that the index was disabled.

• That'll do it. Glad you figured it out.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply