Union query doesnt work. Please help

• G'd Afternoon to all:

First of all i most say that i'm just a newbie, so please bear with me (and my english :rolleyes.

My problem is as follow: i need to get a dataset, product of the Union of two tables and i really don't know why to make a simple thing is taking me all this time....and work

Due to the imposibility (for me) to sort  a union query the datasets in the way i need, i choose to create a temp table (#Mytable) where i store my sorted first dataset, that will be one of the Select statements for my union query. So i ended up with something like this:

Create Procedure sprocAny

CREATE TABLE #MyTempTable

(

tfld1(9) PRIMARY KEY,

tfld2 NVARCHAR(9),

tfld3 datetime,

)

INSERT INTO #MytTempTable (tfld1,tfld2,tfld3)

Select Distinct Top 3 fld1,fld2,fld3

from A

Order by fld3

Select * From #MyTempTable

UNION ALL

Select DISTINCT TOP3 fld1,fld2,fld3 From B

My surprise is that this sproc does not work!!!! I don't understand why! if i create a physical table it works fine, but if i create a temp table its says something like :

".. The sproc did ran succesfully but did not return any records...." .... and i get nothing

I also had tryed building two temp tables, make a union query of those temp tables and physically create a table with the result of that union... and it works , i mean, everything works with phhysical tables, but not with temporal tables.

My problem is that i don't want to overload the server with this kind of procedure, because it will run for each row displayed on the form. Besides i need a temp table for each user and not a table in the server, because i need to avoid more than one user to create/modify/delete the data at the same time.

If some one please can tell me what i'm doing wrong i really will appreciate it.

For any help, thanks in advance

Estuardo

Manifest plainness,Embrace simplicity,Reduce selfishness,Have few desires.
    Lao-t'ze.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Estuardo,

• Estuardo,

Not sure if previous reply made it...sorry if this is a repeat.

A few things:

1) You need a datatype for col1 of your #tmp_table.

2) I was able to do a similar sproc to yours successfully.

3) There may not be any rows to return.

4) You may be able to use a table variable instead of a (physical)#tmp_table.

5) #tmp_tables are only visible to the connection that created them. Other users cannot access them. They are destroyed automatically when the sproc completes execution.

Hope this helps!

P

• To simplify things a little perhaps...

Instead of...

CREATE TABLE #MyTempTable

(

tfld1(9) PRIMARY KEY,

tfld2 NVARCHAR(9),

tfld3 datetime,

)

INSERT INTO #MytTempTable (tfld1,tfld2,tfld3)

Select Distinct Top 3 fld1,fld2,fld3

from A

Order by fld3

You could ...

Select Distinct Top 3 fld1 as tfld1, fld2 as tfld2, fld3 as tfld3

Into #MytTempTable

from A

Order by fld3

This will "auto" make #MytTempTable to have a "compatible" structure to table "A"

Once you understand the BITs, all the pieces come together

• Schleep & ThomasH:

First of all thank you both for your time and your kind help because due to this help i could solve my problem.

Just a few comments: Schleep, for the reason you mention in your 5th step is that i need this kind of table. Thank you for the your very welcome help.

ThomasH: with slight modifications your approach solved my problem and i get the result as expected.

One more time thank you both for the help

Best regards

Estuardo

Manifest plainness,Embrace simplicity,Reduce selfishness,Have few desires.
    Lao-t'ze.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply