Understanding Replication

• HI
    I Inherited several servers where replication is setup, one wasnt working and the other Im not allowed to touch.
    I have setup replication (I chose my articles and set it to publish on Sunday night and Subscribe 1am on Monday). I have a snapshot agent user and a distribution user

But ive had to stop this because (for whatever reason) it seemed to be causing LOCKs on the database when people were trying to use it on Monday.
    I noticed that in the repldata share, the folders are getting huge. Can I remove them once they're done. so for example (if replication ran today, can I remove the folder for yesterday in repl_data ) ?
    There is a job sp_Delete_BackupHistory and sp_PurgeJobHistory. Should these be running and will they remove these folders in replData

In my primitive view, I have setup the publication on ServerA and on ServerB is the Distributor (repldata) and the Subscriber. It creates a snapshot (I think I set it on Sunday night).
    When it does this replication should it / Would it cause locks on tables that others are using.

Sorry for the Cryptic questions, Im just finding my way.

Darryl

Darryl Wilson
    darrylw99@hotmail.com

• Darryl Wilson - Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:00 AM

HI
    I Inherited several servers where replication is setup, one wasnt working and the other Im not allowed to touch.
    I have setup replication (I chose my articles and set it to publish on Sunday night and Subscribe 1am on Monday). I have a snapshot agent user and a distribution user

But ive had to stop this because (for whatever reason) it seemed to be causing LOCKs on the database when people were trying to use it on Monday.
    I noticed that in the repldata share, the folders are getting huge. Can I remove them once they're done. so for example (if replication ran today, can I remove the folder for yesterday in repl_data ) ?
    There is a job sp_Delete_BackupHistory and sp_PurgeJobHistory. Should these be running and will they remove these folders in replData

In my primitive view, I have setup the publication on ServerA and on ServerB is the Distributor (repldata) and the Subscriber. It creates a snapshot (I think I set it on Sunday night).
    When it does this replication should it / Would it cause locks on tables that others are using.

Sorry for the Cryptic questions, Im just finding my way.

Darryl

It sounds like when you setup replication you set it up for snapshot replication. Generating the snapshots will have locks on the tables. Do you need snapshot replication for some reason? If the data changes infrequently you can still use transactional replication. Nonetheless, unless your database is quite large or the infrastructure isn't too good, the times don't make sense if the snapshot is generated Sunday nights and users were having problems with locks on Monday. If this was just setup for testing, you really should turn it off and leave it off. You want to spend some time (a lot of time) understanding the basics of replication first. And you don't want to test on production systems.

The repldata share has the snapshot data - files for the articles in the publications. What you delete depends on what all is using this folder, the other replication in place and how you plan to reinitialize subscriptions if needed.

There are system stored procedures with similar names as the two jobs - sp_delete_backuphistory and sp_purge_jobhistory. But whether the jobs call those stored procedures or not is anyone's guess. You would need to look at the job steps and see what they are doing. It's unlikely they clean up the repldata folder but you never know. A job can be named almost anything and it could have absolutely nothing to do with what it is named. So you can't decide what to do with jobs based on the names. You need to look at the job steps and understand what they are doing.

You may want to start by going through the stairway series on replication to get a better understanding:
    Stairway to Replication

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply