Unary & Aliases

• I think I may need eye glasses, I really had to look hard at the commas to differentiate them from periods... I almost chose the Incorrect Syntax error.

• My first opinion was: very exotic question far away from practical usage.

But later I changed my minds. Never thought about arithmetical operations in T-SQl work in such way. Thanks a lot.

• Nice question.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It's a nice and interesting question. Thanks.

• Ah yes, my "favorite" bit of SQL syntax

select 0 [A]

A fun bug to find when I accidentally delete a comma and then try to figure out what's wrong with the output of

select col1

col2,

col1003

from sometable

What? I can't be the only one!:ermm:

Thanks for the question!

• Amusing and fairly easy question.

The misprints in the explanation may have left some people confused. All three alias forms are wrong (1st missing "= <", second and third bpth missing "alias").

edit: I can make typos too. Fixed.

Tom

• Good puzzler - thanks. Nice coverage of different scenarios.

• Tom.Thomson (9/13/2011)

Amusing and fairly easy question.

The misprints in the explanation may have left some people confused. All three alias forms are wrong (1st missing "= <", second and third bpth missing "alias").

edit: I can make typos too. Fixed.

Unfortunately, the editor to contribute with a question, sometime, changes the text both in the question and more often in the explanation. The explanation was victim of this change. I think because of GREAT and LESS sign that are misinterpreted as html syntax.

• Olga B (9/13/2011)

Ah yes, my "favorite" bit of SQL syntax

select 0 [A]

A fun bug to find when I accidentally delete a comma and then try to figure out what's wrong with the output of

select col1

col2,

col1003

from sometable

What? I can't be the only one!:ermm:

Thanks for the question!

My favorite syntax is

select col1 AS [newcolname/sometime user friendly col name]

from sometable

Other syntax is less readable and as you wrote it may lead to unwanted bug. But maybe very usefull for code generators.

• Carlo - absolutely that is confusing. When I intend to alias the column, I prefer to use [ColumnName] = col1 syntax, which aligns all my column names nicely.

The problem arises when I lose the comma by accident, and SQL turns col2 into an alias for col1, thus messing up my output.

• Interesting question and took quite sometime to figure out and also learnt along the way.

Thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply