Unable to save/preview SSRS reports

• Hi all, I have visual studio 2017 with SSDT installed.
    I opened a Solution which is a bunch of SSRS reports and was told that the solution/project needed to be upgraded - so I let it do it's thing.
    Now when I open any report in VS2017 I see it instantly has a * next to the name meaning it has changed on openeing. When I look in the filesystem I see another rdl file created called report name (backup).rdl.
    If I open another report then exactly the same happens.
    If I try to save or preview the report I get an error "Unknown report version 9.0" and I get no further.
    I have googled this and the option to do a "save as" for the report does not work as this newly saved version also complains about the report version and I can't complete the save process.
    How can I upgrade the RDL files themselves so I can continue working on them?
    I have gone into the properties and selected "auto detect" for the server version of SSRS and it correctly picked it up.
    The report info is <Report xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner">.
    My guess is that there would be more to it than just changing the report definition version in the XML

• Jay@Work - Tuesday, June 12, 2018 2:58 PM

Hi all, I have visual studio 2017 with SSDT installed.
    I opened a Solution which is a bunch of SSRS reports and was told that the solution/project needed to be upgraded - so I let it do it's thing.
    Now when I open any report in VS2017 I see it instantly has a * next to the name meaning it has changed on openeing. When I look in the filesystem I see another rdl file created called report name (backup).rdl.
    If I open another report then exactly the same happens.
    If I try to save or preview the report I get an error "Unknown report version 9.0" and I get no further.
    I have googled this and the option to do a "save as" for the report does not work as this newly saved version also complains about the report version and I can't complete the save process.
    How can I upgrade the RDL files themselves so I can continue working on them?
    I have gone into the properties and selected "auto detect" for the server version of SSRS and it correctly picked it up.
    The report info is <Report xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/sqlserver/reporting/2005/01/reportdefinition" xmlns:rd="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SQLServer/reporting/reportdesigner">.
    My guess is that there would be more to it than just changing the report definition version in the XML

Actually you can sometimes just change the namespace and it will upgrade the reports. But generally, there is more to it and I've only had that work for fairly basic reports.
    But it is the 2005 version issue that's messing up the upgrade process.
    A few things to try (with the original reports/solution) would be opening the reports individually and doing a save as to a new name (rather than opening the solution) with a higher version and then rename them back to the original name. You need to do a save as to the version
    Use an older version of SSDT, BIDS that recognizes 2005, open and save the project to a higher version such as 2008 or 2012. And then upgrade with your current version.
    It's usually a long pita process. Here is a link to someone working through the same issue:
    What Does the Error Message, “Unknown Report Version 9.0,†in Visual Studio 2015 Mean?

Sue

• Thanks, after trying many things I finally got around it by....
    Going to the report server, finding the relevant report and selecting 'edit in report builder' from the drop down.
    Then I clicked save and closed it.
    Next I chose 'download' from the same drop down menu and saved it locally.
    Deleted the offending report from my solution and then added this other saved version.
    It opened fine and the schema went from 2005 to 2010.
    Looking back I could have just pasted the XML (RDL) from the server version over the top of my report within visual studio which would have done the same thing

• Thanks for your steps.

Finally, it was enough to open corrupted rdl from the project folder in ReportBuilder and save. After that this becomes manageable from  VS.

• I was able to resolve this by creating a 2008 VS project, importing the rdl files to the 2008 project, then importing the 2008 files to a 2015 project.  I don't think SSRS can upgrade more than 2 versions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply