Unable to register a database in Mirroring Monitor

• I have successfully set up high protection mirroring for a database between two servers (successful meaning that they are configured and synchronised).  I am now trying to register the database on the primary server through Mirroring Monitor but when I attempt to connect to the server I get an error message:

Cannot connect to <servername>

SQL Server replication requires the actual server name to make a connection to the server.  Connections through a server alias, IP address, or any other alternate name are not supported.  Specify the actual server name, '<oldservername>'. (Replication.Utilities)

... where <servername> is the current name of the server (according to system properties, SQL server and ipconfig /all), and <oldservername> is the name of the server when SQL was installed some time ago.  The name change was forced because it included characters that some application didn't like if I recall correctly.

Can anyone shed any light on how to resolve this?  There are a few registry entries referring to the old name but nothing that appears to be relevant.

Matt.

• Figured it out finally .... sp_dropserver and sp_addserver do the job.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply