Unable to connect to SQL 2008 named instance using alias name

• Hi

I have installed Two named instances of SQL Server 2008 Standar Edition X64 SP1 on Windows server 2008 Standard edition X64 with SP2

I created two Aliases using Configuration Manager pointing to both these named instances. Aliases were created without any issues

Now when I try to connect to the instances using alias name I am getting the following error

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)"

but I could connect to the instance using the servername\instancename but not using alias name

Help Regarding this is much appreciated

• I have 32bit named instance 2K8 and alias works fine with named pipe protocal.

When you define the alias on the client machine, double check the pipe name is the same as defined on the server (go to server configuration manager-->Protocals for the instance and check the NP status is enabled and definition matches with that used in the alias definition)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply