Unable to connect remotely to named instance

• Hi all,

New to the forum so apologies if this is posted in the wrong area. Also worth bearing in mind I'm not a SQL DBA and have had NO training on SQL, only what I've picked up via my current role so again apologies if my explanation isn't as descriptive as it should be.

This problem is more Windows Server 2008 than SQL itself but I'm hoping someone might have encountered this before. We have a VM that is running Windows Server 2008 with SQL 2005 Enterprise edition. (I didn't build this box so I have no idea the reasons for this combination).

The box already has the default instance running with several DB's but is now hosting a new DB which an outside contractor is supporting. To this end he requested a named instance to be installed just for this product.

I did this yesterday, restored his backup of the DB into the named instance and configured access for him to administer it, but the only problem I've encountered is that locally you can connect to both the default and named instances using SQL Management Studio, but remotely ONLY to the default instance.

It doesn't appear to be the browser service as suggested by my initial Googling, what I did notice is that if I turn the Windows Firewall OFF, it works perfectly.

I had a look at the firewall exceptions and there appears to be 2 system generated entries called SQL1 and SQL 2, neither of which are configurable or deletable and it doesnt tell me what port or program it relates to.

I manually added exceptions for both port 1433 and 1434 (both TCP and UDP) but to no avail. The only way I can make it work is to turn off the Windows Firewall. There is no antivirus software running on this machine (something I will be taking up with the person who built the machine) so that can't be affecting it.

Anyone ever come across this?

Many Thanks in advance

Paul.

• Chances are that only your default instance is listening on the default ports (1433 and 1434). Your named instance will be listening on another port, which is dynamically assigned unless you have specified it. If there is a firewall involved, then you will need to fix the port. You can do this in SQL Server Configuration Manager by chaning the properties of TCP/IP. Once you have done this, either you will need to make sure the SQL Broswer service is running, or the client will need to specify the port number when it connects.

John

• Thanks John, that did occur to me when unblocking the ports manually didnt work, I did do a NETSTAT but couldnt see anything obvious. I'll give the config manager a go and see what happens.

Thanks very much!

• make sure sql browser is up and running.

Give a man a fish, and you've given him a meal. Teach a man to fish and he'll ask to borrow your boat.:-P

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply