Un-retiring

• It is totally stupid to learn something that will be utterly useless in 18 months. NO OTHER PROFESSION ENGAGES IN THIS TYPE OF ACTIVITY.

Funny, constantly learning new things is the best part of IT. Most of us can never know it all.

The worst micromanager I ever worked for was a woman. She was also a screamer (she called it "venting"), and it didn't matter if you were the cause of her frustration -- you just had to be in the line of fire.

I will cry "Sexist!" to that. I've had lots of bad bosses--micromanagers, abusers, idiots, you name it. Most of them were men. The worst were the ones who came out of the military in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I've had 3 good bosses in my life. 2 were women. (I will admit the very worst was also a woman ... but I don't think it was because she was a woman any more than I think the bad male managers were bad because they were men. They are all people with bad life experiences and bad ethics.)

So why does society value the work of a person who required, at most, a votech education over the work of people who not only spent years getting a degree, but have to keep learning highly complex things, and btw, things that keep the gears turning for everyone? Probably because they haven't invented wrenches long enough to span the Atlantic or the Pacific. Once they invent snap-in plumbing replacement parts and electronically controlled valves, the person in tech support who tells us how to use them will probably not be residing in the US, and the person behind the extrusion machine will probably not be standing on the floor of a factory in the US. What IT people make is limited by what people are making globally.

• But the good thing is, you can go live in places where it's really cheap to live, have adventures, and make the same salary you make here.

• Glad to see most of you aren't afraid of un-retiring if you need to.

And if you get the chance to do something else you want, best of luck. Free cheesecakes are welcome here at the ranch!

• ntaylor (8/5/2008)I don't know how many people have noticed this but I think M$ certification and training is absolutely terrible. It will help you get a job but it really doesn't teach or test anything that's really worthwhile at all.

I can't speak to the training, since I didn't use MS training - only the cert process itself - however, one thing I appreciated about the exams was that they helped me recognize any areas where I needed further study, or clarification. Also, most employers are looking for either a college degree, or comparable certification, or they won't even consider you for employment - so, even if you "don't believe in" the system, it's necessary.

• I like landscaping and cheesecake baking too !!!!! If I have a second career, I will choose landscaping.

How many of you stay in this business because of the money or because you like it?

When my friend's son chose to major in music, my friend almost freaked out because he said musician could not make any money. Is that important? So the kid will not make a million in his life time but he will be happy doing what he likes.

I constantly ask myself this question.

• AnnA (8/5/2008)

It is totally stupid to learn something that will be utterly useless in 18 months. NO OTHER PROFESSION ENGAGES IN THIS TYPE OF ACTIVITY.

Funny, constantly learning new things is the best part of IT. Most of us can never know it all.

The worst micromanager I ever worked for was a woman. She was also a screamer (she called it "venting"), and it didn't matter if you were the cause of her frustration -- you just had to be in the line of fire.

I will cry "Sexist!" to that. ...

Nothing sexist about it. I'm female, she was female, and she screamed at men and women equally. I've worked with female colleagues who really knew their stuff and never lost their tempers. This woman was the poster child for anger management classes.

• AnnA (8/5/2008)

I will cry "Sexist!" to that. I've had lots of bad bosses--micromanagers, abusers, idiots, you name it.

Well most managers are men.

For what it's worth the best and worst worst manager I've had were men and the 2nd best and 2nd worst I've had were women.

• Hey Steve,

I just wanted to say what a fantastic article, especially the line you wrote about the dream.

"However if you have a dream, something you want to pursue, and it's not the job you're in, think about making a change"

Fantastic article, it's got me thinking about increasing my involvement in my wifes company so we can spead more time around the house with our new born.

Keep up the good work,

Pete

• Thanks, glad you liked it and hope you enjoy the little one.

Steve

• emmchild (8/5/2008)

....It is totally stupid to learn something that will be utterly useless in 18 months. NO OTHER PROFESSION ENGAGES IN THIS TYPE OF ACTIVITY.....

Emmchild, I have to say that most of your points are ones I agree with. However, the one I've quoted just above is an area where we differ.

Learning is never wasted. Even if the material becomes obsolete, you've learnt a little more about how to learn, and you've practiced your skills for accumulating and assimilating knowledge. The world certainly doesn't stand still, and those who can adapt quickly have an advantage. Moreover, many businesses try to maintain a culture of regular (perhaps even constant) change, with varying degrees of success, and it's often IT they use as one of the driving forces for this. By learning something even though its useful life may be short, you're accepting change as a given instead of seeing it as an unknown to be feared.

And if you can't go through several refresher training courses for different versions of the same product and not learn how to see the overall trends amongst the minutae (i.e. gain some of what we Brits call "nous"), I'd be very surprised.

OK, lecture over. Sorry if this comes across as a bit high-handed and idealistic; it's not meant to be, but I haven't the time available to see how I can re-write it better. :Whistling:

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply