TTYL

• Guess the spell checker didn't help with my acronyms. I had to look a few up to write the editorial and I mis-spelled (Does that make sense?) them.

Acronyms make sense and are useful in places. Especially non-work environments, but I'm not sure that we should pile on acronyms when we're discussing something with co-workers.

Which is something I hear teenagers doing.

• Anders Pedersen (11/20/2007)

I've been playing online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) sinve Everquest came out in March of 1999. Lots of people there use acronyms all the time, or shorthand. Sometimes you have to, i.e. when you have a bad fight on your hand 😉 But even there I strive to write proper English as everyone can understand it (although capitilization becomes difficult at times....).

Guess I will never be cool either! And I'm ok with that!

Some of those though, like FUBAR, has been around a lot longer than computers. At least my dad said it was commonly used around the planes he flew even back in the 50s 😉

Good to see another gamer here 🙂 I definitely agree that there are times where you have to use the acronyms. But there definitely is a time where they shouldn't be used. It makes me cringe to see kids these days thinking that using lol, rofl, and other acronyms is fine in writing. What ever happened to proper grammar and spelling out words? Or are they now teaching acronyms as the way to go? 🙁

• Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)

Guess the spell checker didn't help with my acronyms. I had to look a few up to write the editorial and I mis-spelled (Does that make sense?) them.

...and because of it your kudos has risen, not fallen.

Acronyms make sense and are useful in places. Especially non-work environments, but I'm not sure that we should pile on acronyms when we're discussing something with co-workers.

Which is something I hear teenagers doing.

And I think that can be summed up simply as, "choose your language to suit your audience" - a useful and sensible skill to employ.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• majorbloodnock (11/20/2007)

Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)

And I think that can be summed up simply as, "choose your language to suit your audience" - a useful and sensible skill to employ.

Except when you have a "mixed bag" and you don't know whether to be couth and uncool or uncouth and cool..:w00t:

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• sushila (11/20/2007)

majorbloodnock (11/20/2007)

Steve Jones - Editor (11/20/2007)

Except when you have a "mixed bag" and you don't know whether to be couth and uncool or uncouth and cool..:w00t:

Opting for eloquent smut works for me :Whistling:.

• From a reader/listener (attached): rename as .wav

Sums it up nicely.

• Anders Pedersen (11/20/2007)

I've been playing online roleplaying games (MMORPGs) sinve Everquest came out in March of 1999. ...

Gamers are everywhere! One of my first computer jobs was with a play-by-mail game company (Flying Buffalo) in the early 80's (their online presence was on The Source :hehe: ). It took me a while to get OMW in City of Heroes as On My Way, when someone is running across a map to join you on a quest. I always thought of Oh, My Word!

😀

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Far out article dude. It was really dope!

Later

Slang comes in many forms.

• Let me set down my cane so I can use both hands to bang out this message...

To quote myself "Never confuse motion with progress" which in the world communication transmogrifies into "Never confuse talking with communication."

It seems to me many if not most project failures can be traced to communication faults. Basic manners and courtesy would seem to stress that it behooves the one wishing to convey a message or receive information to be aquainted with the idioms, whatever they are, of the other party(ies). I take great pride in choosing exactly the right words in proper english to illustrate my points, convey information, entertain or entreat. However, if I ask a "tweener" for information I should be fully ready to receive and accept a string of hideously permuted acronyms and l33t-speak. That does not make them wrong.

Similarly, if I am in France and am looking for information I should not be offended if the person responds in french or fails to understand my question uttered in english. I found myself embarassed by a co-worker while we were doing a co-oridnated release in Lyon who exclaimed when he though we were alone "If these people are going to by US software why can't they learn to speak english?!" Rediculous.

In the end, personally, I miss the english language as it seems to fade from public exchange. There is a whole group of people coming behind who believe things like "words should only mean what the speaker intended them to mean" (yes, I have had that debate with an early20s developer). All of these acronyms can be translated but as any cruise through acronymfinder.com will show you they can mean similar things. Words without fixed meanings are pointless. Me deciding what words should mean to everyone is arrogant. Words that can not be understood commonly are deceptive and a waste.

I am sure we will sruvive the coming of the Jabberwock. We survived and lead the migration from vacuum tubes to micro-circuits. It seems that one of the challenges for the generation that follows is linguisitic obfuscation. I would love it if language would stop evolving but volo quisnam lingua mortuus

• Clip from Editorial

"Whether we standardize on English .." Ummm there is no 'z' in standardise and there is a 'u' in 'Color'. And there are several usages of there,(mostly misused) There are... Their clothes... There are programmers in there hopefully wearing their clothes over there 😀 And you wonder where TTYL comes from ?? And people are complaining about spell Checkers....

Ok I'll get off the soap box now. Whether (and nothing to do with storms) it's by pictures, words or smoke signals, the point is that languages are continually evolving and so is its' usage.

CodeOn 😛

• Malcolm Daughtree (11/20/2007)

Clip from Editorial

"Whether we standardize on English .." Ummm there is no 'z' in standardise and there is a 'u' in 'Color'.

Sorry to be contrary, but both usages are valid in both examples above. I understand the Queen's English was here first, but us non-spellers on the other side of the pond have established several variants of certain words, to include "standardize" and "color" (even though the Queen would prefer that we use "standardise" and "colour").

Your point as to how fluid the language is is well illustrated however 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• :ermm: sorry about that last post everyone. I assumed there would be some word wrapping happening there. I was just being a wise-a** anyway. Maybe it can be deleted??

And "no", I didn't preview my post. You put code into production without testing and look what happens!

James Stover, McDBA

• now THAT's something I can understand (wi$ea$$ that is....)

:hehe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Dim myMessage

And heaven forbid that I use "Bonza" "bewdy" or Aussie in a sentence. or etc because I can't spell the other or BTW 'cos I have to compress it into isValidSMS(myMessage,char(160)) = true. See where it all leads 😀

CuL8rOn

Co don 😛

PS Language is such fun !

• Malcolm Daughtree (11/20/2007)

Clip from Editorial

Whether (and nothing to do with storms) it's by pictures, words or smoke signals, the point is that languages are continually evolving and so is their usage.

Agreed-ish

Some languages evolve better than others. English only requires that a word becomes common currency before it becomes legitimate, and therefore is included in dictionaries (I'll admit I'm thinking of the Oxford English Dictionary in particular). French requires that a new word is ratified by L'Academie Francaise before it is given any official credence. As a result, English evolves far quicker than French. Admittedly, English is not "owned" by the English any more - it truly is a global language, and American, Australian, Canadian and European injections, to name but a few, are now just as valid as those from Britain. Whilst many of the new additions can grate on traditional sensibilities, I believe English's fitness for purpose as a communcation tool has increased exponentially because of it.

I'm rambling on now, so I'll shut up.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply