TSQL - Identity_Insert

• Dscheypie (9/13/2013)

:blush:

If I hadn't tried it out I would have gotten it wrong.

:blush: again...

...is this English grammar correct, by the way?

Yes.

But England is full of ignorant pedants who will claim it is not grammatical, because they insist that the past participle of get is not gotten but got. Just about everyone in the USA says gotten (as did just about everyone in England until not very long ago, which is why the pp of forget is forgotten, of beget is begotten and so on, and why the phrase like "ill-gotten gains" is used by just about everyone). I'm Scottish, so I both forms of the past participle - which I use at any time depends on which feels right at the time.

Tom

• logitestus (9/27/2013)

:blush: umm, what should you do when you can't perform simple math in your head? This was a pretty simple question (since I have been dealing with IDENTITY_INSERT for several years now) but the simple addition of 100 + 1 + 1 trips me up? Time to back to the dunce cap...

Of course, logitestus, if I had added 100 + 1 + 1 and similar complex tasks for years like you did I would have solved this problem hopefully as souvereign as apparently you did.

So I respectfully admire your capabilities and competence and humbly ask for forgiveness for not having a comparable expertise in this area. In other areas of course I sometimes proove to be a bit more exercised like social behaviour. Therefore I gratefully thank you and decline your offer, the dunce cap, with greatest respect: Please keep it for yourself because you are obviously so well versed in the use of it...

😎

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/27/2013)

Yes.

But England is full of ignorant pedants who will claim it is not grammatical, because they insist that the past participle of get is not gotten but got. Just about everyone in the USA says gotten (as did just about everyone in England until not very long ago, which is why the pp of forget is forgotten, of beget is begotten and so on, and why the phrase like "ill-gotten gains" is used by just about everyone). I'm Scottish, so I both forms of the past participle - which I use at any time depends on which feels right at the time.

Hi, Tom,

thank you for your off topic explanation, off topic at least in the sense of SQL Server!

I wasn't sure of the use of past participle, yet I tend to exercise my poetic capabilities even in a technical forum, even for the price of ludicrousness 😉

Anyway: Aren't you interested in some Vogon poetry? 😀

• Dscheypie (9/27/2013)

Hi, Tom,

thank you for your off topic explanation, off topic at least in the sense of SQL Server!

I wasn't sure of the use of past participle, yet I tend to exercise my poetic capabilities even in a technical forum, even for the price of ludicrousness 😉

Anyway: Aren't you interested in some Vogon poetry? 😀

O mo chreach, chan 'eil! Chan 'eil idir! 'S ann bhiodh bàrdachd Bhogonach gun bhun gun bharr gun dreach, cho neo-bhlasta ri sgaot, agus chuireadh e dìreach subh ghràin orm! Is mise bhiodh briste brùite ma chuireadh tu rium càil dhith! At least not unless you can provide it in a translation into my language, which would surprise me horribly, and almost certainly not even then :sick:.

Tom

• Hi, Tom,

can you imagine my joy when I first thought to have found another worshipper of Vogon poetry? And my disappointment when I realized that this was no Vogon, but a mere mundane language up to now unknown to me? Gaelic... 🙁

...but of course wonderful, too!

😉

Well, give me some time; I hope to present you a very special Vogon piece of artistry. I just suffer from some difficulties: Import restrictions (potential life threatening devices are not willingly welcomed), duty, tolls and taxes, you know...

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply