Trying to understand Datepart and dateadd

• I am trying to read a strored proc written by a programmer before me. I have attached the following code. could some one help me to understand what the -1 is for in the Datepart(hh,@adt_start_date) * -1 part of the following code? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Shree

DECLARE @adt_date datetime

DECLARE @adt_start_date datetime

SELECT @adt_start_date = getdate()

SELECT @adt_start_date = dateadd(mi, Datepart(mi,@adt_start_date) * -1, @adt_start_date)

SELECT @adt_start_date = dateadd(hh, Datepart(hh,@adt_start_date) * -1, @adt_start_date)

SELECT @adt_date = dateadd(dd,1,@adt_start_date)

print @adt_date

print @adt_start_date

• He's subtracting the hours and minutes from the present to 'floor' it ie get the midnight datetime of today.

It better achieved by 'DATEDIFF(DAY,0,@Date)', that accounts for second and milliseconds which your code doesnt.

Change the Print's to selects and you will see what i mean

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• The -1 is subtracting the hours and minutes portion of the @adt_start_date, so you're basically left with that date at midnight. The SQL datetime datatype can be represented as a number where the portion left of the decimal is the date and right of the decimal is the time.

I generally use this expression when I want to drop the time portion of a date:

select cast(floor(cast(getdate() as float)) as datetime)

Ed

• Oh...I see what you mean. I can now figure out what the rest of the stored proc is doing based on these dates. Thanks a lot!

Shree

• That is great info for a newbie like me! Thanks so much for helping out!

Shree

• This will also "truncate" the time portion of a datetime value to midnight:

select dateadd(dd, datediff(dd, 0, getdate()), 0)

• This doesn't address your question directly, but it might help with your understanding of DateTimes

http://www.sql-server-performance.com/articles/dev/datetime_datatype_p1.aspx

http://www.sqlteam.com/article/datediff-function-demystified

• this will also work if u dont like 0's 😉

select dateadd(dd, datediff(dd, 1, getdate()), 1)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply