Trying to determin how much space I have a left on my server

• Hi,

The issue, I inherited, is that I have a 2012 SQL Server installation siting on a Win 10 machine; not sure if that matters.

The C drive 93.6 GB free, and I can find how much space is allocated on each of my databases. I know there is a lot to look at such as log growth, jobs, users adding data, etc. However, I was wondering if there is a way to see how much space in total is being used and how much space I have left, to things and still have it function well.

Thank you

• Well, your drive has 93.6gb free. Assuming you have auto-growth enabled on your files, you have room inside the database too. Take a look at sys.dm_db_file_space_usage to determine the free space within the files. However, the big number is that free space on disk. As long as that remains open, things should function fine. The exception to that is if you have disabled auto-growth (a valid choice, but you then need to do maintenance), then you'll want to use that function to keep an eye on things and grow the files manually as needed.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Okay,

Thanks for your help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply