Trying to connect SQL Server 2008 64-bit to Oracle 10g

• If I could adress some points:

*Have you successfully connected to an Oracle database using that provider? The instance I need to connect to is running on a Red Hat Linux box and I have no idea how to make that connection

Whenever I've tried to ue the built in MS Oracle driver it says 'you need to install the Oracle client'.

It doesn't matter that you're connecting to Red Hat - you just need appropriate network connectivity. SQL doesn't care its just talking to a driver which is talking to a port on a network address.

And yes unfortunately the Oracle client is a hideously bloated thing that needs to be installed.

• nick.mcdermaid (4/11/2011)

And yes unfortunately the Oracle client is a hideously bloated thing that needs to be installed.

I couldn't agree with you more! That sucker is HUGE and rather unwieldy to set up! :Whistling: However, I did manage to get that accomplished. Once I was able to get my server to connect to the Oracle instance, I was able to get the Linked Server established as well. What prevented me initially was a combination of a firewall setting the network guys had to address plus my Oracle account was locked out from too many unsuccessful attempts.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (4/11/2011)

nick.mcdermaid (4/11/2011)

I couldn't agree with you more! That sucker is HUGE and rather unwieldy to set up! :Whistling: However, I did manage to get that accomplished. Once I was able to get my server to connect to the Oracle instance, I was able to get the Linked Server established as well. What prevented me initially was a combination of a firewall setting the network guys had to address plus my Oracle account was locked out from too many unsuccessful attempts.

You don't need to install the ~500 MB Oracle client software on the SQL Server box just to setup a linked server connection to Oracle. All you really need is the 50 MB Oracle Instant Client. Really you just need a subset of that, the MSDAORA.DLL driver and few support .DLLs and configuration files. It's just a matter of copying the files to a folder, adding the folder to your Widdows %PATH%, and then registering one .DLL file.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/index-097480.html

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Thanks Eric! I'll try that out and let you know although it will be a while before I do since I'm getting ready to go on a much needed extended vacation.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (4/11/2011)

Thanks Eric! I'll try that out and let you know although it will be a while before I do since I'm getting ready to go on a much needed extended vacation.

Here is the reference I used when I installed Oracle Instant Client on a SQL Server box a few months ago. Since it basically just involves unzipping some files to a folder and making some additions to a couple of environment path variables, it's a low risk install and easy to back out of.

http://blog.whitehorses.nl/2010/04/26/installing-the-oracle-instant-client/

I hate installing a bloated software package from CD-ROM on a Production or QA server and then crossing my fingers in hope that it doesn't break anything, so the Instant Client option would always be my first choice, if it provides all the functionality you need. You can also use Intant Client for use with Toad or SQL Developer on a workstation.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (4/11/2011)

Aaron N. Cutshall (4/11/2011)

Thanks Eric! I'll try that out and let you know although it will be a while before I do since I'm getting ready to go on a much needed extended vacation.

Here is the reference I used when I installed Oracle Instant Client on a SQL Server box a few months ago. Since it basically just involves unzipping some files to a folder and making some additions to a couple of environment path variables, it's a low risk install and easy to back out of.

I hate installing a bloated software package from CD-ROM on a Production or QA server and then crossing my fingers in hope that it doesn't break anything, so the Instant Client option would always be my first choice, if it provides all the functionality you need. You can also use Intant Client for use with Toad or SQL Developer on a workstation.

The instant client is just the Oracle client in separate pieces and in the Microsoft platform development the Oracle client is not optional it is required. There is very limited reason to install it in production but it is needed in QA because code is tested in QA.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (4/11/2011)

Eric M Russell (4/11/2011)

The instant client is just the Oracle client in separate pieces and in the Microsoft platform development the Oracle client is not optional it is required. There is very limited reason to install it in production but it is needed in QA because code is tested in QA.

The Oracle Instant Client is basically just the ODBC, Java, or OLEDB drivers and whatever supporting files are needed to make them functional. On a SQL Server box or Windows workstation, that's all you need for a linked server connection to connect to Oracle. If you want to connect to Oracle using a SQL Developer or a 3rd party tools like Toad, also all you need is Instant Client.

• Eric M Russell (4/11/2011)

Gift Peddie (4/11/2011)

The Oracle Instant Client is basically just the ODBC, Java, or OLEDB drivers and whatever supporting files are needed to make them functional. On a SQL Server box or Windows workstation, that's all you need for a linked server connection to connect to Oracle. If you want to connect to Oracle using a SQL Developer or a 3rd party tools like Toad, also all you need is Instant Client.

The client is not needed for SQL Server Linked Server in x86 but it was needed in x64 because Microsoft did not provide x64 driver for Linked Server. When using Oracle SQL Developer for .NET development Oracle client is required because SQL Developer is used to browse Oracle objects during development.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (4/11/2011)

Gift Peddie (4/11/2011)

The client is not needed for SQL Server Linked Server in x86 but it was needed in x64 because Microsoft did not provide x64 driver for Linked Server. When using Oracle SQL Developer for .NET development Oracle client is required because SQL Developer is used to browse Oracle objects during development.

You're correct that Oracle is the only source for a x64 version of the OLEDB driver for Oracle, but still only the Instant Client is required. All that SQL Server and VisualStudio.NET want is an OLEDB driver. They don't need the Oracle client tools, Java runtime, network components, SDK, and all only God knows exactly what else comes bundled with the 500 MB client install.

• All that SQL Server and VisualStudio.NET want is an OLEDB driver.

That is not true I run one of the busiest Oracle and Visual Studios issues in x64 thread on MSDN forums because Visual Studio is still x86 when Oracle and the Window operating system is x64, it is very complicated because in Asp.net resolution in IIS5.5 XP, IIS6 Win 2003, IIS 7 Vista and Windows 2008 and IIS 7.5 Windows 7 and Windows 2008 R2 are all different. The Oracle client was one gig until Microsoft removed MDAC in Vista and Windows 2008 and up which requires more Oracle code.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Install Oracle Instant Client for windows server 2008 64bit on the Server where SQL Server 2008 installed then create the DSN and then create the linked Server with OLE with the help of DSN

Regards,

Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan

MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog

http://www.aureus-salah.com

Regards,
    Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
    BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
    www.aureus-salah.com

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply