TRY_PARSE

• A look at this new T-SQL function, along wiht some examples of where this can help prevent errors in code

• As this one goes hand in hand with the TRY_CONVERT I guess it makes sense for me to pick this one up as well - if you're happy with that?
    Cheers,
    Matthew.

• Take it

• Cheers

• I've been making a start on this one.

It seems like the PARSE function hasn't rececived a lot of love in the blogosphere, can't find a single article going into any depth about why it is useful. I think it would be of benefit to go into some detail on this before introducing the TRY_PARSE, not sure whether that works better as one post or two. Alternatively, I could give TRY_PARSE brief coverage after introducing PARSE, but then refer to the TRY_CONVERT post as it's similar once you understandf PARSE.

The main disadvantage of making it two posts is that the TRY_PARSE one will be very similar to the TRY_CONVERT post.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

• Having similar articles is fine. I think this should be two parts. There will be people that know one and not the other, so no need to get them to work through a long piece.

• Thanks

• I've submitted the article on PARSE, will work on TRY_PARSE next.

• I've now submitted the TRY_PARSE article, sorry it took so long.

• Thanks, and no worries. I'll get to it as quick as I can.

Locking this thread for now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply