Triple Check Your Restores

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Triple Check Your Restores

• Off topic, but your commentary brought back memories of working on a short contract at the (now decommissioned and demolished) Trojan nuclear power plant on the Columbia River in Oregon. Scenic but eerie, working in the shadow of the cooling tower.

• When I got thrown in on the deep side at the company where I work and told I was responsible for the administration of the database as well I was determined to learn as much about database administration as possible. One day I came on this very good disaster recovery article and I decided to start log shipping on our database to take log backups every 15 minutes. The network IT was soon on my case because I was clogging up the disk space. Although I did make sure to implement a plan to delete log backups after 12 hours and it did not really clog it up that much. We anyway had a dedicated server for the database and I moved the backups away from the server to an external hard drive he was dead set against it. He said I do not even need to take backups at all because the tape picks up all the files which include the database files. I knew that you cannot copy database files unless the database is offline but I thought maybe tapes could do it. I deleted all backups and stopped making backups completely. Sure enough we had a database crash two weeks after that and fortunately I copied a backup to my computer before I deleted the backups. We lost two weeks of data because his tapes did not have anything. Well, from then on he never interfered with my backups again.

Manie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I am happy because I choose to be happy.
    I just love my job!!!

• I'm not sure if the plant manager or upper IT management was ever told, but I'm glad we never had to deal with a hard drive crash during that period.

Sometimes, luck is on our side!

The boss of a friend of mine (not in IT) said once: "You are allowed to drive into a ditch, provided you come out again undamaged."

Well, maybe. I would add "...and unseen!"

MarkD

• Mark Dalley (6/20/2016)

The boss of a friend of mine (not in IT) said once: "You are allowed to drive into a ditch, provided you come out again undamaged."

Well, maybe. I would add "...and unseen!"

I liked that quote, will have to remember it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply