Translate from SQL data to EDI

• Greetings,

I'm working on a project where I need to export some invoicing data from our database to a file. The format of the file needs to be EDI 210.

I'm looking for a starting point. I've looked at:

- ETL tools which seem to be a bit much for this one specific task

- Building the file from withing Visual Studio C# / using a SQL connector, but this may take a long time

- Doing the translation in SQL via sp, again a long process.

- Writing it to XML in a stored procedure and then using an XML > EDI tool. These seem to be more popular than the Database > EDI tools.

I'm hoping someone here knows of some base I can work from so I don't have to do it from scratch.

Thanks much!

Steve Gravley

SQL Server Ent 2000

Active/Passive Cluster

• Why not just use a Software Program that's already out there, like ProEDI for the 210 Motor Carrier Invoice Translation?  They have an EDI Translation Software product that works with SQL, .CSV, Flat and ASCI files to translate them into or From EDI based on your unique back end file formats.  So if you use SQL, you'll have a different map for your Trading Partner than say someone who uses a Trucking or Logistics EDI Package.

I know this thread is kind of old but here's a link just in case anyone else is looking for EDI Load Tender Translation or any other kind of EDI back and forth. \

Regards

• streamlinedconsulting - Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:56 PM

Why not just use a Software Program that's already out there, like ProEDI for the 210 Motor Carrier Invoice Translation?  

Maybe that didn't exist when the original question was asked...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Oh, man.  I've just noticed this is a SQL7/2000 thread.  I feel...dirty.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Haha True, but I get clients still using SQL Serve 2000 or other XP Era software all the time! 
    ProEDI is one of those old tyme applications that still works with XP and COBOL era ERP/SQL based systems, while also being able to run in Windows 7/ 10 / Win Server and Linux.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply