Transactional with immediate updating

• Problem: Setting up transactional replication with immediate updating between 2 SQL Server V7 servers.

server1 database (publisher) owns a table named reels, partially defined as

create table reels

(

reel_key int identity (1,2) NOT FOR REPLICATION

)

This column is also the primary key. Data needs to replicate to server2 database (subscriber) via transactional replication. Occasionally, server2 needs to be able to generate (or update) records to the replicated version of the reels table as well. Immediate updating will then update the publisher.

Questions:

1. Your recommendation as to Push or Pull subscription?

2. Does this require manual effort to create the reels table on server2 or can I allow the replication procedures to do it. Should I allow the snapshot agent to delete and recreate the table when the snapshot agent starts? If I should do this manually on server2 (the subscriber), should I specify something like the following to define the reel_key column?

create table reels

(

reel_key int identity (2,2) NOT FOR REPLICATION

)

Will I need to manually create the update, insert, and delete sprocs as well? If so, I'd appreciate your comments, any code snippets, etc.

Unfortunately, I do not have the option to upgrade to SQL Server 2000.

Thanks for your comments.

Steve Armistead

Panther Systems Northwest, Inc.

Steve

• I've used push with good success. I let the replication wizard generate the tables, subscriber side procs, etc. Before you go the immediately updating route, you might want to consider making the updates to the publisher and just waiting on them to replicate back. On a corporate lan latency is usually 2-3 seconds to see the update applied to the subscriber. Only problem with immediately updating (without the queued updated option) is that both boxes have to be online. If both have to be online, just update the publisher and avoid the extra complexity (not THAT much complexity, but every little bit adds up).

Andy

• Thanks for your observations. The immediate updating capability is somewhat useless since the databases have to be in communication to use it, but I cannot upgrade to SQL 2000 (and queued updating) for several months yet. My client needs the capability to be in place now.

For now, I'm doing a push subscription into server2 database; replication seems to be working pretty well now.

Thanks again,

Steve

Steve

Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply