Transaction replication on a peer to peer replicated Database

• I have a scenario where need to configure a transaction replication on a data which is already peer to peer replicated to another database... i.e. database A on server A is peer to peer replicated to database B on server B...now need to configure T-replication for database A on server A to database C on server C. the distribution database for peer to peer replication is on server D.

its throws error while configuring t-replication

please let me know if this thing works and how the performance will be in this kinda of scenario whether recommended or not ?????

thanks

MGC

• Not tried this before but can you share the error message?

M&M

• Error messages:

The process could not execute 'sp_replcmds' on 'SE-81\VIKSQLR2'. (Source: MSSQL_REPL, Error number: MSSQL_REPL20011)

Get help: http://help/MSSQL_REPL20011

Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'SE\Vtantry', error code 0x54b. (Source: MSSQLServer, Error number: 15404)

Get help: http://help/15404

The process could not execute 'sp_replcmds' on 'SE\VIKSQLR2'. (Source: MSSQL_REPL, Error number: MSSQL_REPL22037)

Get help: http://help/MSSQL_REPL22037

• I think you won't be able to perform what you are trying. From books online, we have this information regarding

sp_replcmds. You could refer this link below.

Link

"Replication treats the first client that runs sp_replcmds within a given database as the log reader"

"Clients who attempt to run sp_replcmds within the same database receive error 18752 until the first client disconnects. After the first client disconnects, another client can run sp_replcmds, and becomes the new log reader."

sp_replcmds could be used by the earlier peer-peer replication.

M&M

• Hi

It sounds like you're trying to install a second version of replication. You don't want to completely install and configure replication on server A again as replication is already running and there is already as log reader on the database, so it's going to fail.

Create a new publication using the existing replication on server A for the tables you want to replicate to sever C, then create a new subscription to server C for that new publication. The existing log reader will process the new publication. You can have multiple publications on a server and different subscriptions from different servers receiving the data from each publication.

Cheers

Roddy

• ...also, I didn't make the more obvious point. If the tables being replicated to server C are the same tables as to server B, you don't need a new publication. You can create a new subscription for server C against the existing publication on server A. If you want serverA-serverC to be peer-to-peer you'll need to create a new publication on server C and a subscription to it on server A as well.

HOWEVER it sounds a bit like you haven't used replication much and you're implementing peer-to-peer "out of the box" because SQLServer allows you to. Be very, very careful if you are new to replication. If your application is not specifically designed to work with peer-to-peer replication you will end up getting a huge numbers of conflicts and a whole heap of pain. SQLServer peer-to-peer is simply designed to simplify installation and setup and to detect conflicts and shutdown so you can fix them. It's up to you to design your application and database so you don't get conflicts in the first place and that needs serious thought and design. There is no such thing as simply installing SQLServer peer-to-peer and it just works.

Cheers

Roddy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply