Transaction log spans 2 files

• HI. I have to backup a transaction log that I believe has never been backed up before. It is currently at 8 G. The transaciton log is now made up of 2 files(it autogrew to where it had to create another file)  Can I set up a normal maintenance plan and include the step where the transaction log is backed up? I have never dealt with a transaction that is made up of more than 1 file.

I was not sure how this worked.

Question #2, once I backup the transaction log, how would I go about shrinking this transaction log being that it is 2 files?

thanks so much,

Juanita 

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• The number of transaction log files does not matter to a transaction log backup.  Just run your job like you would if there were only one file.

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

• Thank you. Now it appears that about 6 g of this transaction log is not used. I would to shrink the transaction log. when I go to ALL TASKS. and choose 'shrink database' and then click on FILES, which log do I shrink since there are now 2?

I would actually like to remove the 2nd log because I don't think it is necessary.

Juanita

• Do not use Enterprise Manager for important tasks.

The command to shrink files is DBCC SHRINKFILE(fileid, newsize).

Take a look in BOL for more info.  You can get the fileid from the sysfiles system table.

While shrinking transaction logs, you usually have to take a transaction log backup and try a few more times in order to move all of the log entries out of the way.

DBCC SHRINKFILE(3, 1000)

GO

BACKUP LOG MyDatabase TO DISK='backupFilename1.trn'

GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE(3, 1000)

GO

BACKUP LOG MyDatabase TO DISK='backupFilename2.trn'

GO

In order to drop a transaction log file completely, you must use DBCC SHRINKFILE with the EMPTYFILE option.  (See BOL)

Note that transaction logs get large for a reason.  Be sure you are not shrinking the transaction log file to the point that it will grow again.  Give it the room it needs to work.

-Eddie

Eddie Wuerch
    MCM: SQL

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply