transaction log restore question

• Brandie Tarvin (3/19/2010)

Unless... Are you treating it as a separate database in your query code?

Yes. A snapshot appears as a separate, read-only database. Hence, if you want to undo a change made in the source database and don't want to revert the entire thing, you do an insert/update and use the snapshot as the source database.

As an example

Update SomeTable

Set SomeColumn = Original.SomeColumn

From SomeTable INNER JOIN Snapshot_Database.dbo.SomeTable AS Original On SomeTable.pk = Original.pk

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks, Gail. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I've used Apex SQL Log and Apex SQL Recover and it works perfect for just such a situation as this. I read Lumigent is a good product as well. Not very expensive either.

my 2-bits....

Tim White

• Brandie Tarvin (3/19/2010)

Paul,

It isn't a silly question. Developers should not have that ability on Production. In fact, there should be a tight throttle on the # of people who do have production rights and most of them should be read only when they are allowed.

Question for all others, how does one update a database from a snapshot without doing a RESTORE command? I've used snapshots quite regularly and never seen an UPDATE command for a snapshot.

Unless... Are you treating it as a separate database in your query code?

I agree with this. However, there are politics typically involved when a developer has access to drop and create objects directly in production. That is not a good reason, but is frequently the case (when devs have access), IMO.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• 2 Tim 3:16 (3/19/2010)

I've used Apex SQL Log and Apex SQL Recover

Glad to hear somebody was able to get it to work. I tried these in a couple of situations and it never worked properly.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I have written a database trigger to track the schema changes in each database. In this case, I think we can write a database trigger which can disallow if it finds any drop object event.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply