Transaction log backup job with Logshipping

• I have database (SQL 2005 enterprise SP3) that is having transaction log backup job running every 5 minutes and now the requirement is to set up log shipping for that database ,now question is

do i need to disable the current transaction log backup job since i will have log shipping set up ,if not then should i give the same transaction log backup folder path for logshipping T log backup?

Thanks!!

• You could use the same backup, although log shipping configuration deletes old logs after a set amount of time/days, just use caution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• thnx , also curious can i have both the jobs running in separate location , if yes how two different log backups can happen with out creating issues in terms of LSN.

• You can run 2, to separate folders, one for backup purposes, and one for shipping to a remote instance.

BUT: when you need to do a restore, you'll need to use one set of t-log backups.Might be confusing.

I would recommend having one set of log backups, for both purposes. IMHO.

Make sure the log's don't get deleted after an hour or two, but only after they have been backed up to tape or disc etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This thing is addressing problems that dont exist. Its solution-ism at its worst. We are dumbing down machines that are inherently superior. - Gilfoyle

• Don't go for two t-log jobs because while restoring by logshipping job the log chain will not be same and restore will fail. So the best way is configure the logshipping tlog backup job every 5 minute as regular tlog backup. Then also configure copy & restore job accordingly. You can put t-log backup files on a share folder where it can access by secondary service service account because copy/restore job will be operate from secondary server.

Thanks

AKP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply