Tracking Processes

• I think Answer should be "None of the Above" Or we need to change the question

As DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks

• L' Eomot Inversé (9/21/2012)

I used sp_who2 ages ago, and wrote a thing to replace it because sp_who2 didn't do quite what I wanted in some cases (I can't remember what that did, it was so long ago) but now I would use sp_WhoIsActive (available from Adam Machanic's blog) which is rather nice.

Thanks for the link Tom. This does provide more information than sp_who2 and I like the fact that the sql text is part of the output.

• hkamal.infoedge (9/21/2012)

I think Answer should be "None of the Above" Or we need to change the question

As DiskIO in sp_Who2 means reads and writes combined, not just reads as question asks

You should always look at the QotD wording on the website rather than relying on the wording in the daily email, because the website wording gets corrected when an error is noticed whereas there is of course no way of correcting the email wording after the email has been sent. Today, the wording was corrected on the website more than two and a half hours before you commented, so I guess if you'd looked there before answering you would have seen the corrected version.

Tom

• Good question, thanks!

• Good question, but poorly worded... Disk IO in sp_who2 references reads as well as writes. Bouse points for those who actually got it right for the right reason 🙂

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• I agree with all those who got it wrong by saying "None of the above" as the question was not clear about disk IO.

But I got this one right only because my past experience of a similar question which I replied by thinking too much logically. This time I assumed the author is actually referring to the Disk IOs column in result set and got it right. 🙂

[font="Tahoma"]Fahim Ahmed[/font]
    [font="Times New Roman"]Knowledge is a journey, not a destiny [/font]

• I'm a bit late to this party as the SSC daily email was blocked by our server due to profanity... :w00t:

I got this "right" but I fundamentally agree with the point of view surrounding "none of the above", although for me the wording of the question had been corrected.

• DugyC (9/24/2012)

I'm a bit late to this party as the SSC daily email was blocked by our server due to profanity... :w00t:

Most excellent. I knew SSC was NSFW :hehe:

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2012)

The question was poorly worded and I missed the total disk activity in edit.

The question has been corrected and points awarded back as of a few minutes ago.

The re-worded question only appeared when I answered the question

• SQLDBA360 (9/26/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2012)

The question has been corrected and points awarded back as of a few minutes ago.

That's not possible. If you looked in the newsletter, we can't change that.

However the question as it appears on the question page is the same text (physically) that appears on the explanation page.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/26/2012)

SQLDBA360 (9/26/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/21/2012)

That's not possible. If you looked in the newsletter, we can't change that.

However the question as it appears on the question page is the same text (physically) that appears on the explanation page.

Actually it is possible unless you hold locks over user interactions (ie do what used to be called "multi-phase transactions) which would surprise me more than somewhat. Someone brings up the question page and gets version 1 of the text; spends some time looking at the text (or maybe gets distracted - called away to a meeting - and comes back hours later - the same text is still on his screen when he unlocks it) and in the meantime, the text gets updated; he then hits submit and gets the explanation page, which has the new text on it.

The reason I would be surprised if you hold locks over user interactions is that the lock hold time goes up quite crazily, with appalling results for performance. People have been teaching "avoid it wherever possible (and implement mechanisms to avoid undesirable consequences)" since the days or hierarchical and network databases, and most people in RDBMS caught on pretty early. I know that SQL Server Central's website implementation got the message (least partially) because we see all those "lost the session" messages (OK) and all those quote the wrong message tricks the system plays on us (not so OK).

Tom

• True, but that isn't a lock on a user interaction. That's a user downloading the page and holding it indefinitely.

In that case you could see something different. My point was the question text on the answer page and the question page are the same fields in the database. We don't do any copy of the data to another field for the answer/explanation.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/26/2012)

True, but that isn't a lock on a user interaction.

I thought that was what I said.:-P

Tom

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply