Tracking Database Changes - please help with design

• Hello All,

My client wants to be notified of the database changes in their application.

Can some one please help us with the best design. We are on SQL Server 2000 SP4.

The following options are ruled out:

1) triggers during INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE on the production database

2) maintaining history table.

The database changes can be of that of previous day's. As in, it need not always be the live data changes. A difference of one day is fine with the client though they prefer the most live data

One of the designs we had in mind was to replicate the database nightly(transactional replication, of course) and use triggers on the subscription database.

But, if someone can help us with any other better ideas, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

• Are you talking about data changes? What type of history are you planning to maintain? Entire life of a row? How big a job is that in terms of tables? Is it every one or selected ones?

One thing that could help is Red Gate's Data Compare (disclaimer, Red Gate pays me). Other than that, I think keeping backups for a certain time and you could always restore them to check on previous values.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply