Trace file permissions

• SQL2005 sp2

I've set up a trace to write to a centralized location. I've granted the necessary permissions to the SQL service account to the target location and the trace file does get created and written to. However, the file does not inherit the permissions associated with the folder it's being written to.

I created a job that writes a output log to that same location and that files inherits permissions correctly. I've also manually created a file using the service account and that also inherits permissions.

Is there something special about how trace files are written?

• Giorgio Maglia (6/18/2008)

SQL2005 sp2

I've set up a trace to write to a centralized location. I've granted the necessary permissions to the SQL service account to the target location and the trace file does get created and written to. However, the file does not inherit the permissions associated with the folder it's being written to.

Do you get the same issues if you run the service account under your login?

Everything you can imagine is real.

• This is a prod server. I can't change the service account. I did notice that the default trace files don't inherit from the LOG folder. Is this a 2005 securtiy enhancement?

• I think this is more of a windows problems than a sql. i also created a trace file manually and it inherited the permissions of the folder.

Everything you can imagine is real.

• Thanks for the reply. Are your default trace files exhibiting the same behavior? Any thoughts as to what in windows securtiy could be causing this? Policy?

• Hi please see this. It turns out that this is by design behaviour. I've been tearing my hair out over this for a couple of weeks now and was beginning to doubt my sanity.

• [font="Verdana"]Hi,

In SQL 2005 when you run a trace in background, a new trace will be created and the permission for this trace file is set only to SQL Service account only and it won't inherit the permission from folder.

You can create a job to copy that trace file to some other folder (where you have privilege) then the privileges will be inherited to the trace files also.[/font]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply