Tools question (performance analysis)

• A coworker described a tool where you'd start SQL Server Profiler and run a trace, then running a poor performing query multiple times. This tool would then analyze the trace information and report everything that could/should be done to improve performance.

I realize that this is quite vague, but what tool(s) does that sound like?

Thanks,

Rob

• Database Tuning Advisor

Be careful. Don't accept it's recommendations without testing them carefully. Implement ones that help, not all of them. It's a good place to start tuning, it's a bad place to finish.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Concur, though you could also look at Ignite (Confio) or Performance Analyzer (SQL Sentry) to dig into what is slowing a particular statement.

• Thank you; it does appear that the 'Database Tuning Advisor' is what my coworker was referring to. I'll take your advice regarding its recommendations.

Thanks,

Rob

• 1) definitely beware DTA

2) dbsophic has a tool that is much better. they have a freebie trace analyzer too.

3) The BEST way to accomplish what you want is to hire a top-notch performance tuning professional!! 😎

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply