to create ldf file from an mdf file

• in a sqlserver database 2005 suppose we dnt have or we lost an ldf file then how to create an ldf file i.e. log file from an existing .mdf file .

• Use Attach Database method. BTW, You cannot have mdf or ldf files in CE edition. There are actually sdf files.

--Ramesh

• Try attach option of the mdf file and it should prompt for creation of new ldf file on verify. Never tried though.

Thanks

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

• Look for the stored procedure "sp_attach_single_file_db" in SQL Server Books Online (the SQL manual - not actually "online" on the net).

• You could also use the newer version for attaching database (as sp_attach_single_file_db is deprecated in SQL Server 2005)

CREATE DATABASE SomeDB

ON (FILENAME = 'c:\data\SomeDB.mdf')

FOR ATTACH

--Ramesh

• Ooops, an additional quote!!!!

Edited my previous post:

--Ramesh

• megha.chauhan (12/7/2007)

CREATE DATABASE nwdata (FILENAME = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Dataewldf.mdf')FOR ATTACH

this is the query bt its not executing. can u trace out why?

thank you

You missed the ON clause....

CREATE DATABASE nwdata ON (FILENAME = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Dataewldf.mdf') FOR ATTACH

--Ramesh

• I am sounding bit stupid bt that was nt the error I wrote that correctly still it wasn't working it gives the error as

Device activation error. The physical file name 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Dataewldf_DATA.mdf' may be incorrect.

bt file name is correct

• Do you have the directory path as is given above. Just to test try from Start Menu --> Run --> C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\

and see if this folder is accessible. It may sound elementarybut just wondering...

Thanks

Prasad Bhogadi
    www.inforaise.com

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply