Timeout error problem

• I'm building a package to loop through linked servers in order to retrieve Job history from each server. See this artice: http://www.sanssql.com/2011/08/looping-through-sql-servers-using-ssis.html

I run into a timeout error, and for testing purposes I extended the timeout with sp_configure to 120 seconds on the server I am running the package from. However, testing the package I still receive a timeout error after about 20 seconds. This suggests the error is generated somewhere else.

am under the impression, that the timeout value is used of the server, where the process runs from. Can anyone confirm this? Or am I missing something here? If I run the script (SELECT srvname FROM master.dbo.sysservers) on any linked server in my query analyzer (from my 'master-server' there is no problem.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Not to be flippant, but did you read that article? It doesn't use Linked servers at all and I don't recommend using them either. It does use a list of servers and then creates its OWN connection to them.

The article walks your through building a package that takes a list of servers and lets you walk through them one-by-one performing actions. I would STRONGLY recommed you follow the lead of the article and not do this with linked servers.

CEWII

• This is the first step mentioned in said article...

1. Create linked servers in each server pointing to your central repository

But you point me to a mistake: I have linked servers FROM the repository to the slaves. I wonder if that would cause the problem. I am inclined to think not, for when I run this package with a single server there is no problem. Also, when I use a TOP 3 in my list-of-servers there is no problem.

I found something on setting timeouts within tasks in the package, I'll have to check this out.

EDIT: I see what you mean... I have indeed skipped the first part of this tutorial. The intended construction(1 process on each instance) is how I could create this setup WITHOUT SSIS packages, and I think is not very efficient. I'll have to look to another solution.

Tnx for answering.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply