The SQL Saturday Thread

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/26/2012)

dma-669038 (9/26/2012)

15 years ago it took two days to get from south of india to Nepal (by train). Our school did an excursion - Nepal tourism promotes visits by foreigners/school kids by offering many discounts, but my parents still could not afford it. Two days air travel is very much within limits to get that far even in today's world!! and do dress warm and take plenty of warm clothes since there is no indoor heat and very cold.

Am not sure how people travel to sql saturdays all over. It is very expensive. We have a group of us from my user group who car pool and go to events close to us - that is as far as we can afford.

Thanks for the note. If I get to go, I'll be covered all over.

Most people don't go to SQL Saturdays, even one. That's why we started the event, because the vast, vast majority of people we'd met at user groups, in town, etc. never get to attend an event. Even today, most people can't get to an event even in their own city because of timing. It's why I'd like to get multiple events in a small area in a year.

People that attend an event usually only go to one in their city. A few travel 50-60 mi to a city near them.

The only people that usually go out of town are those that are speaking, and this is an investment in their career. However most of them only go to 1-2 a year and it's because they have friends/family, or it's a vacation in the area.

Those of us that go to multiple ones usually have a company paying for us to speak there.

I have been to 5 SQL Saturdays, all more than 125 miles from home. Every one was absolutely worth it. I run a user group and we are considering doing one next year.

• I have no doubts at all that most of them are worth it. the problem is just about how much it costs to commute and stay for a night even at a location away from home. I have run 5 sql saturdays and next year will be the 6th. As Steve said my satisfaction comes from bringing free training home to those who have a hard time with travel/commute in locations away from home. I'd love to do more per year but constrained by the sheer effort and also funding in some ways.(more effort than funding). But sql saturdays have really made a huge difference to training, quality training for free in most towns - a great advantage to many people.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply