The RPO

• Thanks for the reply, Hugo, that cleared my doubt.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• EZ question, thanx.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Hany Helmy
    SQL Server Database Consultant

• Trick question indeed. Another reminder to not not answer a question while there are assumptions on the table: by stating that transaction log backups run from midnight on, there is an assumption that they stop at some time previous to midnight (thereby necessitating the start).

One could say the statement was false or intentionally misleading. The 'from midnight on' phrase would more accurately be ' since midnight on the the date we started the server ' or something to that effect.

Mark
    Just a cog in the wheel.

• Easy question. But I was a little careful while answering just to make sure it is not a trick question 🙂

M&M

• Sean Lange (2/12/2016)

Luis Cazares (2/12/2016)

djj (2/12/2016)

sestell1 (2/12/2016)

I was confused by the transaction logs being "from midnight on". What is that relative to? :angry:

My comment also. I was thinking you stopped transaction logs when the diff was taken then started at midnight.

Unless the activity of the server fully stops. Why would someone do that? Even if it does, there's no reason to stop them.

When I read from midnight on, I understood that they started at a certain midnight and kept running every 15 minutes. That way we know they're running on HH:00, HH:15, HH:30 & HH:45. That's why mentioning midnight is relevant.

I would never do that in a real system but it seems he was not the only person to read it that way. Not a big deal to be honest. My QOTD history is far from unblemished, points mean nothing and the learning and subsequent discussion is happening.

I would do that in a real system, and have done it on many production systems. I don't understand why anyone would not do it.

This is an excellent question!!!

Yes, except that the wording "and I cannot access to transaction file at all" is a bit bizarre - - after all, he has already said that the transaction log files are lost so what is the "transaction file" he is referring to?

Tom

• TomThomson (2/18/2016)

Sean Lange (2/12/2016)

Luis Cazares (2/12/2016)

djj (2/12/2016)

sestell1 (2/12/2016)

I was confused by the transaction logs being "from midnight on". What is that relative to? :angry:

My comment also. I was thinking you stopped transaction logs when the diff was taken then started at midnight.

Unless the activity of the server fully stops. Why would someone do that? Even if it does, there's no reason to stop them.

When I read from midnight on, I understood that they started at a certain midnight and kept running every 15 minutes. That way we know they're running on HH:00, HH:15, HH:30 & HH:45. That's why mentioning midnight is relevant.

I would never do that in a real system but it seems he was not the only person to read it that way. Not a big deal to be honest. My QOTD history is far from unblemished, points mean nothing and the learning and subsequent discussion is happening.

I would do that in a real system, and have done it on many production systems. I don't understand why anyone would not do it.

This is an excellent question!!!

Yes, except that the wording "and I cannot access to transaction file at all" is a bit bizarre - - after all, he has already said that the transaction log files are lost so what is the "transaction file" he is referring to?

I understood it to mean you couldn't do a tail log backup to catch the changes up to the point of failure.

• Thanks for the question.

• Typical certification question 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply