The MVP Award Looks Backward

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The MVP Award Looks Backward

• Steve, I suspect that attitude is a significant contributor to you receiving the award.
    I would certainly value more someone looking to help others for the purpose of helping them over someone doing so just to get an award, assuming the advice both is giving is of equally good merit. It would also be a predictor as to the candidates likelihood of continuing to help others.

• crmitchell - Friday, July 13, 2018 3:45 AM

Steve, I suspect that attitude is a significant contributor to you receiving the award.
    I would certainly value more someone looking to help others for the purpose of helping them over someone doing so just to get an award, assuming the advice both is giving is of equally good merit. It would also be a predictor as to the candidates likelihood of continuing to help others.

Agreed!  I like what Zig Ziglar says, "You can get everything in life you want if you just help enough other people get what they want."  Service is key.  You'll get all the "Helpful Person" MVP's you want if your natural lifestyle is to give back.  Well done, Steve.  Thanks for what you do.

• Steve : Congrats once again on achieving the MVP award and thanks so much for all you do to help the SQL community!

• Thanks

• I am grateful for the help that I have received from SQL Server contributors, MVP or not. It has definitely improved my skills. I have paid it forward by sharing my knowledge in my smaller community.

• Julie Breutzmann - Friday, July 13, 2018 7:40 AM

I am grateful for the help that I have received from SQL Server contributors, MVP or not. It has definitely improved my skills. I have paid it forward by sharing my knowledge in my smaller community.

That's great to hear. We need more paying forward.

• Congrats and thanks Steve for all you do!  You are definitely the top MVP in the SQL Server world in my mind.  I really like the fact that you don't just concentrate on SQL Server stuff in your writings.  You challenge us to take ownership of improving ourselves, step outside our comfort zones, be open to new ideas, and cover areas outside of SQL Server.  You also are "human" in that you share failures, make typos ;), talk about family, life outside of work, etc.

I have met other Microsoft MVPs who seem to be much more motivated by "the badge" than actually helping others.  I often think to myself: "No way I'd put them in the same boat as Steve "Hawaiian Shirt" Jones!" 😀

• congrats Steve! I especially like your writing in the Voice of DBA in SQLServerCentral.  Your sharing of IT knowledge and life outside work are both informative and inspiring! thanks again.

• Cool article. I've always wanted to be a Microsoft MVP. But I wonder if that nomination process means you've got to be nominated by someone local? I don't know any Microsoft MVP here in New Mexico. So, if nomination is in large part due to local MVP's recognizing someone of MVP quality, then it won't ever happen here.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Rod at work - Friday, July 13, 2018 10:12 AM

Cool article. I've always wanted to be a Microsoft MVP. But I wonder if that nomination process means you've got to be nominated by someone local? I don't know any Microsoft MVP here in New Mexico. So, if nomination is in large part due to local MVP's recognizing someone of MVP quality, then it won't ever happen here.

Years ago I was nominated for MVP by a contributor here on ssc.  Never went beyond the initial nomination, but just the fact that someone thought I deserved the honor was good enough for me.

• Lynn Pettis - Friday, July 13, 2018 10:22 AM

Rod at work - Friday, July 13, 2018 10:12 AM

Cool article. I've always wanted to be a Microsoft MVP. But I wonder if that nomination process means you've got to be nominated by someone local? I don't know any Microsoft MVP here in New Mexico. So, if nomination is in large part due to local MVP's recognizing someone of MVP quality, then it won't ever happen here.

Years ago I was nominated for MVP by a contributor here on ssc.  Never went beyond the initial nomination, but just the fact that someone thought I deserved the honor was good enough for me.

Oh, OK. I really thought that, in large part, the only way to be nominated to a Microsoft MVP was to be nominated by another MVP who was local to you. You know, they'd know who you are, what you've done in the community, etc. This idea came about in large part because, like I said, there are no Microsoft MVP's here in New Mexico. At least none that I know. Given what you said @Lyunn, I have to conclude that no one here publishes enough blog posts, writes enough books, speaks at enough national conferences, etc., on Microsoft technologies. Too bad.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• IowaDave - Friday, July 13, 2018 8:33 AM

Congrats and thanks Steve for all you do!  You are definitely the top MVP in the SQL Server world in my mind.  I really like the fact that you don't just concentrate on SQL Server stuff in your writings.  You challenge us to take ownership of improving ourselves, step outside our comfort zones, be open to new ideas, and cover areas outside of SQL Server.  You also are "human" in that you share failures, make typos ;), talk about family, life outside of work, etc.

I have met other Microsoft MVPs who seem to be much more motivated by "the badge" than actually helping others.  I often think to myself: "No way I'd put them in the same boat as Steve "Hawaiian Shirt" Jones!" 😀

Thanks,Dave.

• Rod at work - Friday, July 13, 2018 10:52 AM

Oh, OK. I really thought that, in large part, the only way to be nominated to a Microsoft MVP was to be nominated by another MVP who was local to you. You know, they'd know who you are, what you've done in the community, etc.

Anyone can nominate anyone.

NM has some good , smart people, but need to have  lots of contributions these days.

• I am so happy to find my favorite newsletter author is held in such high esteem by others.
    11 Years straight, I don't think I have been a member that long, but I have enjoyed all the time I have been.
    Thanks for your service to us all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply