The directory creation time

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The directory creation time

• nice question and good reminder

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The more you know, the more you know that you dont know

• This idiosyncrasy of PowerShell has frustrated me from day 1 of PS 2.0

When the variable is expanded, whether to use double or single quotes, curly braces etc.

The syntax of a language should not have such subtle differences, otherwise just use English. It has enough ambiguity for anyone 🙂

• I agree, Ray. PoSh was supposed to be logical and make more sense than Bash, etc. Instead, there are some silly items like this, and like -eq and -ne rather than respecting = or ==.

• Actually, this makes perfect sense to me. The CreationTime is a property of the $directory object. In the quoted string, $directory.CreationTime cannot be determined because the parser doesn't recognize it as a simple data value. To get what you want you should do something like this:

$directory = Get-Item 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server'

$dTime = $directory.CreationTime

$message = "SQLDirectory Creation: $dTime"

This works because $dTime is a simple data value.

• jkeefe wrote:

Actually, this makes perfect sense to me. The CreationTime is a property of the $directory object. In the quoted string, $directory.CreationTime cannot be determined because the parser doesn't recognize it as a simple data value. To get what you want you should do something like this:

$directory = Get-Item 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server'

$dTime = $directory.CreationTime

$message = "SQLDirectory Creation: $dTime"

This works because $dTime is a simple data value.

The problem is that Powershell recognizes $directory and parses its default value and then concatenates the rest of the string.  To force an evaluation of the object property you can do this:

$message = "SQLDirectory Creation: $($directory.CreationTime)";

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply