The difference between the database administrator with database programmer

• What is The difference between the database administrator with database programmer ?

• It depends on where you work.
    My title is DBA, my actual job is Jack-of-all-trades.

My idea of the difference is the administrator and programmer is the administrator keeps things going while the programmer creates the things to go. 🙂

• If you're not in charge of backups, security, and monitoring, then you're not a database administrator.
    If you can't code T-SQL, then you're not a database programmer.
    If you do both, then you're both a database administrator and a developer.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• A DBA is responsible for making sure the database server is running.

A database programmer is responsible for making it run in the way the business wants.

Yes there's a lot of fuzzy greyness in there but that's the simple version.

• This varies dramatically by position and company. Unfortunately, our industry does not define titles well, or with any specificity. The title of DBA often overlaps substantially with the roles of a Windows system administrator as well as a database programmer/developer. There are various roles that talk about archtiecture, modeling, design, etc. which overlap as well.

At Microsoft, they have no DBAs. Surely backups are covered, security is handled, and more. They just shift those responsibilities around.

• DBA = 2 am call when the servers down;
    T-SQL programmer = sleeps like a baby;
    C# programmer == sleeps like a baby;
    😀

• My longest-standing beef is with people (usually non-SQL DBA's/Developers) who think "SQL DBA" means "SQL" means I can code SQL.  Usually the cheapskate end of everything, who thankfully I haven't had to deal with since the Great Recession.  They basically are too poor (financially and otherwise) to afford BOTH a SQL DBA and Developer, and as most (Dedicated) Dev's can't administer, whereas a DBA can be expected to have SOME knowledge of TSQL, these misers - be they owners, proj management or non-technical management -  will try to roll the dice and hope they come up with a DBA who can pick up several years with of proficiency in coding, in several frickken DAYS.

There are few pleasures in life better than stating to an unreasonable PM/Manager, "If your emergency requires this script (re)written faster, there's a financial element that comes into play - I LOVE their crestfallen looks at this point - pay for a contract Developer" (last word spoken in slow, deliberate syllables).  Again, those days are now happily long behind me but I'd relish an opportunity to talk to a cheapo for old times sake 😉

--**(I CAN code SQL but of course nowhere near as fast as a dedicated Dev)**--

• DBA: Data Janitor who cares about performance and consistency of existing objects on existing hardware. Empties existing data trash cans. Get called at 2 am when trashcans are full. 
    Database developer: Data Janitor who creates new trash cans or paints existing trashcans with new paint.  May or may  not get called when trashcans are full.

• JaybeeSQL - Friday, June 30, 2017 2:57 AM

My longest-standing beef is with people (usually non-SQL DBA's/Developers) who think "SQL DBA" means "SQL" means I can code SQL.  Usually the cheapskate end of everything, who thankfully I haven't had to deal with since the Great Recession.  They basically are too poor (financially and otherwise) to afford BOTH a SQL DBA and Developer, and as most (Dedicated) Dev's can't administer, whereas a DBA can be expected to have SOME knowledge of TSQL, these misers - be they owners, proj management or non-technical management -  will try to roll the dice and hope they come up with a DBA who can pick up several years with of proficiency in coding, in several frickken DAYS.

There are few pleasures in life better than stating to an unreasonable PM/Manager, "If your emergency requires this script (re)written faster, there's a financial element that comes into play - I LOVE their crestfallen looks at this point - pay for a contract Developer" (last word spoken in slow, deliberate syllables).  Again, those days are now happily long behind me but I'd relish an opportunity to talk to a cheapo for old times sake 😉

--**(I CAN code SQL but of course nowhere near as fast as a dedicated Dev)**--

Spot on JaybeeSQL !  So True .

• Database admin makes sure the data is accessible.
    Database programmer accesses the data and provides it to others.

-SQLBill

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply