The Challenge of Audio Data

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Challenge of Audio Data

• There's also the challenges of everyone's cell phone connections, if they're calling into the meeting directly from their phone.

I get to call in daily for a team meeting, and happen to live in a very swirly Verizon Wireless eddy, which can make the call in for me...interesting. Some of my co-workers seem to have the same problems, too. Nothing better than talking along, and then hearing the "bee-boop" as your cell phone call just got dropped.

• Personally I think it's a must to make sure that your audio quality is good. Especially if you haven't verified your setup previously, or participate in remote meetings on a regular basis.

That said, I think we should maybe question if the daily standups couldn't be done in written form. I think many of us could cram a lot more information into that 15min slot if it was done through text chat.

• When I'm on a Zoom call, I'll first dial in using my iPhone and use that for voice, and then I'll dial in from my laptop and use that for the video. Cell phones are just better designed for voice.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I feel the pain... My headset (bluetooth) sounds really nice... for the audio output... Bass is  a tad high, but I have tools to tweak that.  So things sound great to me.  The mic on the other hand is spotty... or possibly the tools.  SOMETIMES nobody complains about what I am saying, other times, I get complaints that I keep cutting out.  And the fun part - I am not sure if it is the mic or the internet.  I've had my internet speeds drop low enough that my VPN thinks the internet is gone and drops out which breaks my RDP and any other internet things I have going on such as a zoom meeting.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Thank you, Steve, for bringing this topic up. The week before the shutdown happened, probably like everyone else where, I saw the writing on the wall. For headphones all I had on March 13th, was a cheap headset. I'd used it for years before, for conference calls, online interviews (yeah, I had a few at the time). I knew that I couldn't wear them for more than an hour, before I had too much pain to wear them longer. So, I went to Best Buy and bought myself a good gaming headset with mic (HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset). I thank God that I did that, because I've been on conference calls often lasting 4 or more hours. My Cloud II Gaming Headset is so comfortable that I barely notice it.

But I've learned there's somewhat of a downside. The microphone is on a flexible stem, which I appreciate, so that I can move it away from my face while I take a sip of water. However, if I forget to move it back, something I'm too prone to do, people have a hard time hearing me. I've been told that multiple times. So, ya got to remember to keep your mic close to your mouth, if you use something like this.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I bought a HyperX Cloud Revolver S last year for some of the meetings I had to be on remotely. It's served me well through the last several months. It's (similar to Rod's) a gaming headset with a flexible mic. One of the features I really like is the cable mounted mute button and volume control. As soon as I log into a meeting I hit mute until I need to talk. Too many people don't mute when their not talking and as stated you have heavy breathing, eating, typing, etc noises in the background and it makes it pretty distracting. There's also the attendees that join late and immediately announce themselves right over the top of someone who's already talking. I guess we all need to get used to new meeting etiquette.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply