The Career Bucket List

• A bucket list strikes me as odd since it has an internal to external direction.  I've always been intuitively listening to the universe instead of talking to it.  Several years ago I wrote a nonfiction/spirituality book which possessed me until it was written and then I was liberated from it.  It was as if it wanted to be written and I got to experience that process.  Even if I read it now it is amazing to me.  Then once again, two years ago I knew I had to write a screen play.  I don't have any entertainment skills so I've been reading screenwriter books for two years now.  My internal energy around this is getting to be too much now so soon I will have to write the screenplay and find out what it is that wants to be written.  It will be a revelation to me as much as to anyone who reads it.

• Rod at work - Friday, August 25, 2017 9:08 AM

This is a fun topic for a Friday. And its a pretty wide open one, too. 

In a way, I've already achieved some of what you In my previous job it was spent primarily to "help others". The agency I worked for before helped people with substance abuse problems, get off of their addictions. I can remember, early in my time there, going to a social event where former addicts were that we had helped. Several thanked me for doing what I could to help them get "clean", as they put it.

But both in that previous job and my current job, I don't feel like I'm as appreciated as I'd like to be. That I'm more of a burden than a necessary part of what we do. Don't get me wrong, its not that they're being nasty or anything. In my current job they do best what this state agency is for, but I am not a primary person in that. So, for me one of the things I'd like to do is work for a technology company, where what I do is one of the primary products, rather than some supporting role.

I'm going to bookmark this topic and come back to it.

I don't have an official bucket list. Been a bit scared of then. Maybe scared I won't finish them. One thing that was on my mind list. Get a new job that pays me a decent salary. I got it at the age of 58 and Rod, it is a technology company. They asked me what my retirement plans are and I said not soon anyway. I want to work till I cannot anymore.

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Manie Verster - Friday, August 25, 2017 10:57 PM

Rod at work - Friday, August 25, 2017 9:08 AM

This is a fun topic for a Friday. And its a pretty wide open one, too. 

In a way, I've already achieved some of what you In my previous job it was spent primarily to "help others". The agency I worked for before helped people with substance abuse problems, get off of their addictions. I can remember, early in my time there, going to a social event where former addicts were that we had helped. Several thanked me for doing what I could to help them get "clean", as they put it.

But both in that previous job and my current job, I don't feel like I'm as appreciated as I'd like to be. That I'm more of a burden than a necessary part of what we do. Don't get me wrong, its not that they're being nasty or anything. In my current job they do best what this state agency is for, but I am not a primary person in that. So, for me one of the things I'd like to do is work for a technology company, where what I do is one of the primary products, rather than some supporting role.

I'm going to bookmark this topic and come back to it.

I don't have an official bucket list. Been a bit scared of then. Maybe scared I won't finish them. One thing that was on my mind list. Get a new job that pays me a decent salary. I got it at the age of 58 and Rod, it is a technology company. They asked me what my retirement plans are and I said not soon anyway. I want to work till I cannot anymore.

All right Manie! Your experience encourages me.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I checked off my only 30 year old bucket list on July 8, 2011 when I saw the Final Four launch on Space Shuttle Atlantis Final Launch of Space Shuttle Atlantis. I was back at Kennedy Space Center to see Atlantis land at the Shuttle Landing Facility (200 yards from the runway). Space Shuttle Atlantis Pulls into Port One Final Time

Since the Space Shuttle, I've added more to the list. In 2015, My wife and I have been to a practice round of The Masters Golf Tournament (cameras allowed during practice rounds); we had tickets to Monday 2014 practice round, but that was rained out.
    I became aware of the Total Solar Eclipse in June 2016 and we watched it from home. I took photos at minute intervals of the event, but during totality, I forgot to take the solar lens filter off; so I got the first half and second half, but I didn't get any photos of the half-time show. We are already planning to travel for the April 8, 2024 eclipse.
    Seeing an aurora is something that I want to do.

Personally, I developed an Windows C# .Net application that uses the Microsoft Visual Tools for Office. NASA Space Shuttle TV Schedule Transfer to Outlook Calendar reads NASA's schedule for Space Shuttle missions and puts the events in the Calendar of Microsoft Office.
    Professionally, I'm close to retirement, so I want to make it to 2021.

PS:
    The Corvette is my bucket list car.

• Now nearing retirement and working part-time I do not have a career bucket list (if I ever had one). My main aim is to continue to work on something interesting (on a p/t basis) as long as I am capable.

One piece of advice I would give people is that if the job is not giving you what you want then move on. Twice I have held on too long hoping things would improve. The first was sheer stupidity on my part and the second was became I had other issues (elderly parent) I was dealing with. In retrospect a more satisfying job would have eased the pressures the latter generated.

About 30 years ago I listed ten cars I would want in my dream garage. I found it last last year and realised many were now impracticable so revised it. One car that remained on the list was the Galaxie 500 hardtop  with stacked headlamps - the 7 litre version of course!  🙂

• mjh 45389 - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:02 AM

About 30 years ago I listed ten cars I would want in my dream garage. I found it last last year and realised many were now impracticable so revised it. One car that remained on the list was the Galaxie 500 hardtop  with stacked headlamps - the 7 litre version of course!  🙂

Do this exercise:  https://ozar.me/2017/08/dream-car-track-garage-4-cars-100k/

I tried, and despite being at an age where I have over a decade of career left, I couldn't get past 3. Too impractical in my life, so why add a 4th.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:54 AM

mjh 45389 - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 6:02 AM

Do this exercise:  https://ozar.me/2017/08/dream-car-track-garage-4-cars-100k/

I tried, and despite being at an age where I have over a decade of career left, I couldn't get past 3. Too impractical in my life, so why add a 4th.

I actually own four cars  of which only two are on the road. Earlier this year I decided to sell one but have only had tyre kickers and time wasters. Might try E-Bay but I am no fan!

A few years ago I met someone with a dozen cars who had converted a row of stables next to his house. The sad thing was they were all variants of the same model!

• mjh 45389 - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 8:14 AM

I actually own four cars  of which only two are on the road. Earlier this year I decided to sell one but have only had tyre kickers and time wasters. Might try E-Bay but I am no fan!

A few years ago I met someone with a dozen cars who had converted a row of stables next to his house. The sad thing was they were all variants of the same model!

That's kind of what I ended up with. Now I have a Suburban, well, my oldest drives it for now, and an X5. Two of the same, just one larger. My dream garage was like that. Suburban for trips, Cayenne for daily. A 911 just for fun, but really impractical in my life now.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply