The Business - Part 2

• Fun topic. For me, 2011 is the year of "soft skills" - so this is on the radar.

So it doesn't take long working in the tech arena to notice these patterns in how tech relates to other segments.

Many factors go into the interrelationship equation look constant or look to grow.

I wonder what could come along and change the game.

I'm entertaining the idea of encouraging tech personnel to develop "tactics." What I mean is develop in the area of negotiation, persuasion, story-telling, conflict-resolution, argumentation and the like. Granted these can be used for good or ill - but that's always been true - and though it's a subjective proposition, I think tech lags behind in these areas. However, if there was a substantial boost in this area, I think it would shake things up, probably for the better.

Tech personnel are often talented in the area of "strategy" which could be a boon to companies as they absorb great strategic initiatives - but that commonly gets derailed by other business segments that are better at "tactics." So, If tech can get good at tactics, then the strategies can roll ahead.

Bill Nicolich: www.SQLFave.com.
    Daily tweet of what's new and interesting: AppendNow

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply