The Blast Radius of a database

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Blast Radius of a database

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Patrick,

Thanks for showing an interest. I'm sure that everyone would be fascinated to read a guest editorial from you in response arguing, from the technical angle, the reverse; that the relational monolith is an anachronism and that distributed architectures guarantee a more successful outcome. All I'm doing is arguing that there is still plenty of life in the RDBMS and that it saves you a lot of problems you'll come across otherwise, particularly with transactions. I'm sorry to bang on about being careful and cautious with microservices. I suspect that you've had better experiences of them than I have with the two retail banking projects in the UK  I was involved with that had an SOA,  so it would be great to hear your views.  I'm not against them, I just don't see them as a panacea.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by  Phil Factor.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• A weekend of heavy drinking Patrick? I'd lay off a couple of weeks if I was you. :-p

• "A weekend of heavy drinking Patrick? I'd lay off a couple of weeks if I was you. :-p"

Heh, I get it, I'm one of those pesky "don't misappropriate my terminology" hotheads, plus Phil is one of the "cool" guys here, he's cultivated his fan club. I'd probably get the same reaction from kids if I disrespected Justin Beiber.

• I'm not sure you do get it. Your response was uncivil, lacking in any appreciable point and inarticulate. If you wish to respond in a coherent way that will always be very welcome (to me at least), whether agreeing or disagreeing with anyone of any standing whatsoever. As it stands you simply came over as a shouty, drunken moron. Just saying!

• I am flattered by the comparison with Justin Beiber, Patrick.

It is difficult to remove any ambiguity from an editorial because one has to keep it short.  'Hotheads' are  people who preach, with apparent passion,  against what they perceive as the opposing position rather than to rationally explain the merits of their own. The 'hotheads' of distributed database architectures are the ones that declaim, in emotional terms, that there is something inherently wrong in a 'monolithic RDBMS'. There people are generally marketing people. I've used, or experienced, a wide range of architectures, and have found good uses for all of them, but that is quite different from  becoming convinced by the delusion that a particular architectural style is a universal panacea, and that everything else is rubbish.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply