Talking baseball

• Camden Yards is a lot like Coors Field. They're both nice. I got to Fenway last year, which was an experience. Hoping to get to either the Royals or Pac-Bell next year.

• Camden Yards and Coors Field are both great ballparks! I also like Safeco Field in Seattle. SkyDome (now Rogers Centre) is also another interesting ballpark as well.

I also made it to the "new" Yankee Stadium this year (I've been to the "old" stadium more times than I can count), and I must say that I like what they did with it!

I also admit loving Fenway Park. I may not like the team that plays there (the Yankees' natural enemies), but I do love their ballpark. If you appreciate history and architecture, you probably would as well.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Safeco is cool. Kalen Delaney took me there a couple years ago, and we saw the roof close in the midde of an inning. The Arizona park is cool as well.

San Diego is OK, not great, and I've been to Wrigley, which is nothing special. Fenway looked cool, and I enjoyed the 7th inning stretch. Alas, my rooting for the Orioles to spoil the local night didn't work out, but it was a cool place to be. I'd walked around the park 3 times over the years, never having been there during baseball season. nice to finally get there.

I want to get to the new Yankee stadium sometime. We'll see when I get back east again.

• I always thought that the Green Monster looks smaller in person than does on TV. (And as a Yankee fan, I now cringe every time I hear Sweet Caroline!)

Anyone have any thoughts on this year's Hot Stove? The Phillies (seem to) have gotten stronger, and I think Seattle may have traded their way to the AL West pennant.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• I thought all of Fenway looked small! It seemed surprisingly smaller than Coors Field, though I think all the open sky in Denver makes it large. Arizona seemed small as well.

I don't make any predictions now, other than either the Yankees or Red Sox will be in the playoffs 🙂

I've seen too many things change, even after the All Star break. The Rockies looked dead on July 4, and almost caught the Dodgers. The Yankees were 15 out a couple years ago in June and made the playoffs.

I think Seattle make a great trade in terms of pitching, saw them struggle to hit last year, so we'll see. I think MLB is getting a little more parity in some ways, with TX, LAA, SEA all competing in the West. The NL West flip flops constantly, and Tampa has looked good. If the Mets do anything, that will be a tough division, and despite St Louis seeming to dominate, MIL, CHIC, HOU all seem to be getting better.

I'd like to see them salary cap things and make it more of a game. I've always been a Yankees fan, but I'll admit it gets old when they are in the postseason every year and TOR isn't. Good to have the Red Sox competing with them. For years that felt like a joke, but it's a good thing when the Red Sox, and Dodgers compete.

• Steve Jones - Editor (12/21/2009)

I thought all of Fenway looked small! It seemed surprisingly smaller than Coors Field, though I think all the open sky in Denver makes it large. Arizona seemed small as well.

You're not seeing things. Fenway is a little bandbox of a ballpark. It's only 312' down the LF line and 302' down right, although it suddenly juts out and becomes deeper in right center.

Johnny Pesky used to curve home runs around the RF foul pole, hence the name "Pesky Pole."

Also, they've added on to Fenway quite a bit, so the wind isn't as much of a factor anymore. You don't have too many Punch 'n Judy hitters hitting them over the Green Monster like they used to. (*cough*BuckyDent*cough*)

I don't make any predictions now, other than either the Yankees or Red Sox will be in the playoffs 🙂

Oh, but it's fun! 🙂

I've seen too many things change, even after the All Star break. The Rockies looked dead on July 4, and almost caught the Dodgers. The Yankees were 15 out a couple years ago in June and made the playoffs.

Tell me about it. You also have Seattle 1995, Yankees 1978, Giants 1951, etc.

I think Seattle make a great trade in terms of pitching, saw them struggle to hit last year, so we'll see. I think MLB is getting a little more parity in some ways, with TX, LAA, SEA all competing in the West. The NL West flip flops constantly, and Tampa has looked good. If the Mets do anything, that will be a tough division, and despite St Louis seeming to dominate, MIL, CHIC, HOU all seem to be getting better.

I don't think it's just a matter of Seattle getting stronger; I also think the LA Angels got worse. They just lost Chone Figgins and John Lackey, and that's going to hurt. They had a great pickup with Hideki Matsui (I was really hoping he'd re-sign with my Yankees -- oh well), but other than that, I don't think they got any stronger.

Also, Griffey has done wonders with the Mariner clubhouse. Granted, he's not as effective with the bat as he used to be, but he's done wonders with their team chemistry, and that's not something to be taken lightly. It's going to be interesting to see what Milton Bradley does to that balance.

I'll admit that I'm biased because the Seattle Mariners are my second favorite team, after the Yankees! (I can't explain why, so don't ask!)

I'd like to see them salary cap things and make it more of a game. I've always been a Yankees fan, but I'll admit it gets old when they are in the postseason every year and TOR isn't. Good to have the Red Sox competing with them. For years that felt like a joke, but it's a good thing when the Red Sox, and Dodgers compete.

I'm all for competitive balance, and would like to see the little guy win as much as the next fan -- well, maybe except the Red Sox! :Whistling:

It's just that when the team that's favored is my team . . . 😉

• Red Sox - little guy....WHAT? Maybe little compared to the Spankees...err Yankees :cool:.

I agree with the Mariners getting better and the Angels losing a little bit - however I would not be surprised at all by them being in the mix come September next year.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/21/2009)

Red Sox - little guy....WHAT? Maybe little compared to the Spankees...err Yankees :cool:.

Well, when one team wins 27 World Series, and the other goes 86 years between titles . . . 😀

FWIW, I'm still in denial about 2004!

I agree with the Mariners getting better and the Angels losing a little bit - however I would not be surprised at all by them being in the mix come September next year.

Me neither.

• Nice...Braves trade with the Yankees

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4764085

Yankees get better in the BullPen and the Braves get Melky - hmmm not sure I like the trade.

Learn Extended Events

• CirquedeSQLeil (12/22/2009)

Nice...Braves trade with the Yankees

Yankees get better in the BullPen and the Braves get Melky - hmmm not sure I like the trade.

Not yet sure how I feel about that trade. Melky was a fan favorite, and a lot of Yankee fans will probably grumble about that.

Personally, I thought this was a good trade for the Yanks. Melky was good, but not great, and of course, you need to give up quality for get quality. I don't think they'll use Vasquez out of the bullpen; most likely, he'll be a 4 or 5 starter.

I think the Bronx Bombers would be better off getting some middle relief, someone to set up Mo Rivera out of the bullpen. But that's just me.

• Ray K (12/23/2009)

CirquedeSQLeil (12/22/2009)

Nice...Braves trade with the Yankees

Not yet sure how I feel about that trade. Melky was a fan favorite, and a lot of Yankee fans will probably grumble about that.

Personally, I thought this was a good trade for the Yanks. Melky was good, but not great, and of course, you need to give up quality for get quality. I don't think they'll use Vasquez out of the bullpen; most likely, he'll be a 4 or 5 starter.

I think the Bronx Bombers would be better off getting some middle relief, someone to set up Mo Rivera out of the bullpen. But that's just me.

And the silver lining now appears - the braves were freeing up cap space to pursue Damon. Another bat in the lineup is a good thing.

Learn Extended Events

• They can have Damon, as long as he doesn't go back to Boston. He's getting older, not sure about his defense, but he had some good hits in the post season.

• Valid points - but when its better than what you have, it isn't too bad of an option.

Learn Extended Events

• Damon is a decent hitter and good on the basepaths, but a liability in the field. Melky is a decent fielder and an okay hitter (but could be better).

Pick your poison.

• The Yankees are like Microsoft. A right-thinking person does not root for them, he accepts them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply