Talking baseball

• Alan.B (11/4/2016)

We dyed the Chicago River Cubs blue.

That's pretty cool. I'm not much of a baseball fan myself, but the fact that the Cubs won a World Series after such a long drought is certainly newsworthy. It makes me think back to the movie "Back to the Future" and how silly it sounded to hear that the Cubs win a World Series back when the movie first came out. Congrats to Chi-Town.

• Alan.B (11/4/2016)

We dyed the Chicago River Cubs blue.

At least the blue looks intentional, I like it. On St. Patty's day it just looks polluted. This has a nice clean "2000 flushes" look to it. 😀

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• So, now that the champagne is gone in Chicago and all the bunting has been taken down...

Hot Stove thoughts? Who's going where? Predictions?

Also, who's going to win what award?

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• All-Star game will no longer determine who gets home field in World Series.

It's about freaking time. I never liked this idea in the first place. Good riddance.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (12/1/2016)

All-Star game will no longer determine who gets home field in World Series.

It's about freaking time. I never liked this idea in the first place. Good riddance.

Same here... that was a wacky dumb rule. Best record should get the advantage.

• Agreed. Why should a Royal hitting off a Giant determine home field for a Cubs/Indians series?

• As of today, only 60 days until pitchers and catchers report[/url]!

• 33 days! A little over a month! Who's excited for Spring Training? :hehe:

• Interesting. It appears that there's a Hall of Fame tracker[/url] online.

I clicked the sublink in the page, and it took me to a spreadsheet that looks like it tallies the public votes from the HoF voters.

I didn't go through the spreadsheet, but from what I've been reading, it appears that Tim Raines and Jeff Bagwell have a pretty good shot at getting plaques at Cooperstown this year!

• That brings an interesting idea. Democratic hall of fame candidacy?

Looking over the list at baseball-reference.com I see Tim Raines is on his final ballot and not likely to make it in (at this time according to the HOFm field). Lots of Red Sox alumni with first time ballots.

Looking at Jason Varitek and Jorge Posada I get this feeling that these types of players that were/are such an important piece of their team's history and success deserve some type of recognition at the league level. They don't have incredible stats to make it in the HoF, but they were solid players who showed dedication, leadership, and teamwork. Yea, retiring numbers and hall of fame at the individual team level is great. Some special league recognition would be better.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• Looking at the HoF ballot this morning, I remembered this dead horse...

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/5/2016)

Fun Pool: How many HRs does A-Rod end up with?

At 696, 9 this year, not playing much with NYY.

I'll go in with 717.

Results:

Steve 717

Ray 710

Calvo 699

Grumpy 697

696 total with the last one coming on July 18th. We were all overly optimistic 😀

• So Bagwell, Raines, and Pudge are heading to Cooperstown!

Three very worth candidates!  Personally, I think Tim Raines should've gotten in a long time ago.

• Now that the other sport is out of the way... (TB12 GOAT)
    Pitchers and catchers report in just a few days!

• Did you guys see the rule change implemented in the minors this year?
    http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-extra-innings-runner-on-second-base-report-joe-torre-020817
    In an attempt to shorten games, extra innings start off with a man on 2nd.

• The Marlins team maybe sold:

Marlins Reportedly Have “Handshake Agreement” To Sell Team

By  | February 9, 2017 at 10:27am CDT

The Marlins have a “handshake agreement” in place to sell the team to a New York-based real estate developer for the price of $1.6 billion, reports Mike Ozanian of Forbes. Ozanian cites two anonymous sources that claim to have been told by Marlins president David Samson that the deal is in place. The $1.6 billion price tag would be more than 10 times the $158MM price at which owner Jeffrey Loria purchased the team back in 2002.The hangup in the reported agreement for the time being is that the potential buyer does not have enough liquid assets to make the purchase, as the majority of his net worth is tied up in real estate investments. Allowing this buyer to purchase the team would require more debt than Major League Baseball would be comfortable with, per Ozanian.As Ozanian points out, the Dodgers’ current ownership group took on an enormous amount of debt when buying the team for $2 billion, but Guggenheim Baseball Management also had hundred of millions of dollars in hedge fund money and a $6 billion television agreement that dwarfs the Marlins’ current contract with Fox Sports Florida.Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald writes that he reached out to Samson in light of the Forbes report but was met with a reply of, “no comment at all.” There have been reports since December that Loria could consider a sale of the team, with Ozanian reporting at the time that Loria sought a $1.7 billion price tag. In Ozanian’s latest report, he notes that Solamere Capital considered purchasing the club and had been discussing a $1.4 billion price with Loria.A sale of the Marlins would bring to a close one of the most controversial ownership tenures in recent history. Loria has been widely panned by both fans and the media for an unwillingness to spend on the on-field product, orchestrating multiple fire sales even after winning the World Series in 2003 and opening a new, taxpayer-funded stadium in 2012. As Vocativ’s Joe Lemire points out (on Twitter), if the sale of the team does ultimately go through, Loria will have paid just $15.5MM of the $325MM that is owed to star right fielder Giancarlo Stanton on his exceptionally backloaded 13-year contract.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,786 through 1,800 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply