Talking baseball

• calvo (3/7/2016)

Just found out that a coworker is a Yankee fan. This after I found out that another coworker, from Massachusetts, is also a Yankee fan. The paiiiiiin!!!! que horror! :crazy:

I like your co-workers already! 😀

I've been contemplating whether or not I want to get MLB.TV Premium through MLB, MLB TV through Fios, or just MLB At Bat from the app store (for radio broadcasts). MLB.TV actually has some pretty cool offerings this year (and $20 cheaper!). You can purchase the whole sh'bang, subscriptions for a single team, or monthly.

I normally just go with AT Bat. It's about $20 for the season since I don't have time to watch that many games anyway, I can play them on the radio anywhere. Not to mention you get a daily free game 😀

I wish they had an option where they had a team blacklist to avoid scores, news, broadcasts, and video of a single team. Unless, of course, it conflicted with your favorite teams list. 😉

I've never felt compelled to get MLB.TV Premium. I'm usually pretty happy just listening to the radio on @Bat. I'm listening to HOU v. NYY as I write this! 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/7/2016)

$100/yr seems pricey to me, but I get that they're trying to provide the service. What I'd really like is a $2 game. I listen sporadically, and usually want to catch a game over audio because of bandwidth.

However no one makes it easy, especially for local games. Radio isn't always an option, so I end up being more disconnected at a time when we should be more connected. I wish the NBA/NFL/MLB would let people just have a game here and there at a reasonable cost. NBA has gotten better, but not great. NFL with Verizon was nice, but unreliable and caused a decent amount of frustration.

At Bat is $20 through the app store for the regular season (apple or google play). You get every game's radio broadcast which includes local clubs with no blackout restrictions (yay radio). Every game provides the home and away team broadcasts so you can still listen to your regular commentators call the game, or switch if they get annoying. You also get the free game of the day (free streaming game).

I enjoy being able to listen to the game (any game) no matter what I'm doing and for $20, totally worth it. I find listening to a game when working on a computer or out in the yard makes things so much more relaxing.

Ray, the one coworker is from western MA. So, she's kind of weird like that anyway. 😀

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• Speaking of *reduced prices!*

... http://www.mlbbroadcastingsettlement.com/ ...

They settled a lawsuit for overcharging and reduced prices is part of the settlement. lol

You can now, for $10 more, watch your favorite team play in a local market without blackout restrictions. The restriction is, however, that you must already maintain television service that would otherwise provide the broadcast of the local game. So weird.

These new packages weren't even MLB's idea. They got sued into it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

• calvo (3/7/2016)

Ray, the one coworker is from western MA. So, she's kind of weird like that anyway. 😀

Ah, that explains it. If she's from the Pittsfield area, then she's right on the border of Yankees/Mets/Red Sox territory. 🙂

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• I've enjoyed having MLB At Bat on my phone as it does include every radio broadcast (home team, visitor, Spanish where that's done). When my Giants play in LA, I listen to Vinnie while using the pause on the DVR to sync the TV feed with the digital delay on the audio. The past couple of years, T-Mobile has been the "official official Wireless Sponsor of Major League Baseball" and so offered it for free, but they typically haven't announced that till April. Keeping fingers crossed for that to happen again.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/4/2016)

I agree. He was better last year. However I still think of the collapse against the Red Sox. I was sure he'd never get a ring, since he just doesn't perform in the post season. He proved me wrong, but I'm not sure he's a clutch player.

To me, he's like a lot of players in many sports. Great stats, perform well in the regular season, don't come through in the clutch.

Well, the acronym A-Rod explains it: Another Rodriguez October Disappearance

• I may have to try AtBat. Listening in the background is something I've enjoyed, and I certainly like listening while driving or traveling out of town. Wonder if it works in the UK?

• Subscription based internet radio, don't see why not.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/8/2016)

I may have to try AtBat. Listening in the background is something I've enjoyed, and I certainly like listening while driving or traveling out of town. Wonder if it works in the UK?

Their telephone support folks just told me there are no blackout restrictions on the audio feeds in At Bat, so yes, it will work internationally.

• ESPN/Baseball Tonight is running a list of whom they believe to be the top 100 players in MLB. Here's 100-91; today, they ranked 90-81. Should be interesting to see how this list shapes out.

• Interesting.

I won't say whether or not I believe it, but whether or not he actually does, that's his prerogative. While I'm not yet ready to embrace him as a "true Yankee," I am encouraged by the fact that he said and did all the right things this past year. I don't condone his past, with Biogenesis, his insecurity, and all that, but people do change, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

One thing about him that has been genuine is his love for the game.

We'll see.

• RIP Joe Garagiola

• Ray K (3/23/2016)

Interesting.

I won't say whether or not I believe it, but whether or not he actually does, that's his prerogative. While I'm not yet ready to embrace him as a "true Yankee," I am encouraged by the fact that he said and did all the right things this past year. I don't condone his past, with Biogenesis, his insecurity, and all that, but people do change, and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

One thing about him that has been genuine is his love for the game.

We'll see.

+1

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• The NY Times had a nice writeup about A-Rod's retirement announcement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,576 through 1,590 (of 1,972 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply