Take Care of People

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Take Care of People

• My company is actually doing exactly what you say!  The DBA role is slowly becoming less relevant at work as more and more tools are being migrated to the cloud.  The cloud providers have their own database that they maintain and the company has no direct access to it (think things like GitHub in the cloud, or gitlab in the cloud, or salesforce, or ...).

My boss came to me to tell me what the change was going to be before we started migrating existing tools to the cloud and asked me what direction I wanted to go and gave me some options about what direction the company would want that I may be able to fill.  I took her up on it, got some training in place, and my role is evolving.  Still have some databases on site, but the administration side of it is being reduced.  So going from full time DBA to part time DBA and application administrator.  Not sure on an official job title yet, but that is coming.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Congrats, Brian. Hope it goes well

• Well, this sounds very nice, but was not always my experience.  I did have several bosses who took really good care of me, but not when it came to abrupt terminations.  I received a number of extra perks along the way, including a free vacation in Hawaii for myself and my wife, and unlimited unpaid time off as I approached retirement, but other times it was just up and out the door.  In my 42 years in IT, my longest duration with one company was 11 years.  Of course, I got my start when the best way to advance yourself was to change companies because there was consistently increasing demand.  When starting as a developer, my goal was to double my income in three years.  Accomplished that in three years and four months.

In 11 years of management, I only had to terminate one person, and it was a very hard thing to have to do.  But things just have to fit.

You just never know, and thus you ALWAYS have to take care of yourself first.  'Reading the handwriting on the wall' is an essential skill.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• I've have been with two different employers for over 14 years. I thought that I was going to retire at the first company because it was a great work environment with interesting work. But they treated the people that were being laid off well. Once I got the word that I was one of those, once I returned to the cube, I turned the nameplate on my cube upside down. With the second employer, I have set the retirement date.

But there was one company that I worked for that handled layoff strange. I started working for the company on a Monday and Wednesday, they had a layoff in the group I was in. I just find that odd; bringing in new people and having layoffs at the same time. With that same company, the board of directors killed the software product that we were working on including that division; even the division president got laid off with us. The layoff was conducted via a call to the lunch room where we had a team meeting. The president of the other division was calling from a hospital bed because he had broken his back in a skiing accident. He must have had a remarkable recovery because he was at work the next Monday overseeing everything. But then, I suppose that jelly fish don't have spines.

• Ralph Hightower wrote:

With the second employer, I have set the retirement date.

Well, my congratulations on having set your retirement date.  I assume it is soon.  I can only hope that your retirement is a good for you as mine has been so far for me.    Now you can focus more on taking care of yourself.  Enjoy!

Probably the worst layoff situation I was ever in was a company who 'laid off'' four of the nine people in our developers group.  It was actually permanent for all of us.

The 'layoff' shortly following your hiring does sound very suspect, as in planned to avoid a termination and having a vacancy.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by  skeleton567.

Rick
    Disaster Recovery = Backup ( Backup ( Your Backup ) )

• skeleton567 wrote:

Ralph Hightower wrote:

With the second employer, I have set the retirement date.

Well, my congratulations on having set your retirement date.  I assume it is soon.  I can only hope that your retirement is a good for you as mine has been so far for me.    Now you can focus more on taking care of yourself.  Enjoy!

Thank you. In my monthly status report, I put it upfront for my manager to see the number of days remaining. It's June 1st; at March 22, it's 71 days (counting holidays/weekends), 21 workdays (not counting holidays/weekend) I am the sole person supporting a complex system, which I developed, that needs training for turnover. My wife is already looking at possible contracting jobs. When she was going through radiation treatment, she didn't want me to take Family Medical Leave; she wanted me working.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply