Tabular Model Power BI or SSDT

• Hi,

Can I create a Tabular Model in Power BI instead of having to use Analysis Services via Visual Studio? I’m presuming it is using the same engine? Can someone explain the pros and cons?

Thanks

• You can create a Tabular model in either place. There are a lot of pros/cons which I suggest you google for all of them. The primary for me is code reuse. In Power BI, only the one file gets to use the model. (You may now be able to deploy the model so more than one Power BI can use it but I'm not sure on this since I use Visual Studio.) In Visual Studio, multiple sources can use it including things other than Power BI, such as Excel and other BI tools.

• The end result is a tabular cube and both essentially use the same underlying engine, but there are a few slight nuances and I know the product team is working on creating feature parity between the two.

The main differences between the two are how & where the data is stored, how it is consumed by end users and your options and/or restrictions to scale.

At this point in time it is not a seamless conversion between the two, i.e you cannot create a Power BI model and easily convert that into an Analysis Services Tabular cube.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply