T-SQL Parameter goofyness

• I've been knocking my head about this for the last couple of days--

Lets say I have a table with sql in one of the columns, so that I use a cursor and get the equivalent of

Declare @sql nvarchar 200

Declare @parmindex nvarchar(20)

set @sql='select cast(Client as char(30)) from Clients where storeid=@sid'

set @parmindex='@sid int'

execute sp_executesql @sql, @parmindex, @sid=34

Assume that @sql will returns 0 or more rows of varchar datatype.  I need to take the output of sql and put it into a table so I can use sqlmail to send the completed message; but

execute @result=sp_executesql -- Won't work; @result=0 on success

execute @result=@sql             -- Won't work.  This form *requires* @sql be a sproc

I guess I could create an sproc on-the-fly and delete it later, but that sounds silly to me.  I'm just about to give up and do it in VC# using sp_cmdshell, and have the VC# program do the emailing, but I'd much rather keep it all in the database.  Unfortunately, I can't just use xp_sendmail's query feature because I have to strap on headers and footers (or use CR b/c the email must be in plain text)...

TIA,

Thor Johnson

• You can use xp_sendmail to send mail that inclues the results of a query.  ie:

Declare @sql nvarchar(200)

Declare @parmindex nvarchar(20)

Declare @sid varchar(3)

set @sid = 34

set @sql='select cast(Client as char(30)) from Clients where storeid=' + @sid

EXEC xp_sendmail @recipients = 'robertk',

@query = @sql,

@subject = 'SQL Server Report',

@message = 'The results of my query:',

@attach_results = 'TRUE', @width = 250

Francis

• Yes, but I need to add a footer to the message, as well as customize the subject (Attn: Mr Brown).  I'm trying to generalize it so I won't have to force the template too much.

• Use a table to store the message and then include that? Could us a

create table msg (spid int, mymsg varchar( 100))

and put a row in for each line of the message. Then insert your template and include the select mymsg from msg where spid = @@spid in xp_sendmail.

• Use a table to store the message and then include that? Could us a

create table msg (spid int, mymsg varchar( 100))

Actually, that's what I'm doing, but I need to do something like (pardon my semi-sql):

Open Cursor on template_table

while GetRows into statement, issql

BEGIN

If issql

insert into msg_table EXEC(statement)  -- Was a query.  Put contents in

else

insert into msg_table statement  -- Just want the template text

END

Close cursor, yadda yadda

xp_sendmail select * from msg_table

truncate msg_table.

I'm having problems with the insert into msg table Exec(statement) part.  Statement is usually something like "select name from contacts where contactid=?" (and I was planning to pass in the ContactID using xp_executesql, but...), or something like "select alarmtime, message from master_alarms where siteid=?".

• Ok.  I think I muddled through it.  This doesn't sound optimal, or nice, but it works.

I was trying to do exec @result = sp_executesql N'exec xp_cmdshell ''dir'''

But that would always return 0 (i.e. "It worked").  Evidently you must use temporary tables (since MSSQL2k doesn't do sprocs into table vars), like so:

create table #tmp (ret as varchar(5000))

insert into #tmp exec sp_executesql N'select getdate()' -- put into #tmp

-- If I *need* it to be in a variable, I just need to do a select

select @frip=ret from #tmp.

Bleh.  Looks like an awful lot of messing around just to get "1 or more string results" from "an arbitrary sql statement," and I thought it would be detrimental to have all these temporary tables flying about.  But it does work.

Does anyone see anything amiss or that I could do better?

TIA,

Thor Johnson

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply