T-SQL Arithmetic and Geometric Sequence (Series)

• Dana Medley (12/16/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (12/16/2013)

Whoah whoah, it's Monday! Easy with the questions 😀

(seriously, nice question)

+1 I had to step away from this one and get some brain juices flowing before I walked through it. When I first looked at it I was like :doze: "Math?...Ooh..caffeine time".

Really great question!

A question for two cups of coffee - thanks, Steve!

• Easy question if you just cut and paste - but a seriously cool question to go dig around and investigate - thanks

Hope this helps...

Ford Fairlane
    Rock and Roll Detective

• Easy question, but:

Why on earth is this worth 2 points? Surely the ability to answer "which of these 4 numbers do you get when you multiply three by the number which is one less than thirteen and then add one to the result" isn't worth two points? Like thava and toreador, that's the question I answered and got two points for. I am horrified by the idea that someone who regards themselves as DBA or as an SQL developer couldn't read the code and see that that was the question. Is it perhaps two points because it is difficult for some people to see that the SQL code amounts to that for the arithmetic sequence, at the same time as noticing that the four answer options have 4 different answers to that question?

I don't believe steve.jacobs' comment that the matter of the question is covered in grade school at grade 2. Grade 2 kids are not taught to read procedural SQL Code, are they? If they are, let's hang the teachers, because that's an offence almost as foul as teaching Basic (Dijkstra had something to say on that topic, and everyone who understood software agreed with him).

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/18/2013)

Easy question, but:

Why on earth is this worth 2 points? Surely the ability to answer "which of these 4 numbers do you get when you multiply three by the number which is one less than thirteen and then add one to the result" isn't worth two points? Like thava and toreador, that's the question I answered and got two points for. I am horrified by the idea that someone who regards themselves as DBA or as an SQL developer couldn't read the code and see that that was the question. Is it perhaps two points because it is difficult for some people to see that the SQL code amounts to that for the arithmetic sequence, at the same time as noticing that the four answer options have 4 different answers to that question?

I don't believe steve.jacobs' comment that the matter of the question is covered in grade school at grade 2. Grade 2 kids are not taught to read procedural SQL Code, are they? If they are, let's hang the teachers, because that's an offence almost as foul as teaching Basic (Dijkstra had something to say on that topic, and everyone who understood software agreed with him).

Tom, you "trip" me out. I had posted on page 1 a clear explanation of the actual production version used by target group (in this case, elementary grade). The product was (and is) nothing more than a mobile interface (the ASP.NET web application) with the core business logic located in SQL Server as UDFs\Stored Procedures to teach them NOT SQL coding, but the formulas indicated in my earlier post. Part of the web response is to give them not only the answer, but a detailed explanation that includes the formula.

• Koen Verbeeck (12/16/2013)

Whoah whoah, it's Monday! Easy with the questions 😀

(seriously, nice question)

+1. Seriously.

• Interesting question steve.

• pchirags (12/24/2013)

Interesting question steve.

Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply