Symantech Backup Exec 20.10 prompted several errors

• Hello rooms,

I have a Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise that installed Microsoft share point.

There are no any SQL Server backup setups on that server.

However, IT team preferred to use Symantec Backup Exec version 20.10 to perform database Full , Transaction , and Log backup.

During the backup, the Symantech Backup Exec 20.10 prompted several errors:

Database ReportServer is configured to maintain transaction logs. Transaction log backups are not being performed. This will result in the log growing to fill all available disk space. Regular log backups should be scheduled or the database should be changed to the simple recovery mode.

QUESTIONS:

1.What is the Microsoft best practice on backup this kind of environment?

Should Symantec Backup sufficient enough to replace SQL Server Full, Differential, and Log backup?

2.Can Symantec Full, Differential, and Log backup replace Microsoft SQL Server 2008’s Full, Differential and Log backup?

3.What above error means from SQL Server prospective?

Please help and advice. Many thanks for your kind help.

Edwin

• Check to make sure the version of backup exec you're running supports SQL Server 2008. My understanding was that support for 2008 wasn't going to be available until later in the summer.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• >> 3.What above error means from SQL Server prospective?

That would mean that your database (ReportServer) is using the full or bulk-logged recovery models. This means that the transaction log will only be truncated when you back up the transaction log. See http://www.sqlbackuprestore.com/transactionlog.htm for details.

SQL BAK Explorer - read SQL Server backup file details without SQL Server.
    Supports backup files created with SQL Server 2005 up to SQL Server 2017.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply