Suspect Database - Check this first.

• I did a restore of a database to another server and everything was fine. When I ran the transfer logins DTS task (MSSQL 2000), I got the error that MSSQL needs to be running under a windows account. It was running under the System account, so I changed this.

When I went back to Enterprise Manager, the db was marked as suspect. I saw a number of related post here, but none of them mentioned the solution that I found: the domain login that MSSQL uses to start must also have NTFS (or FAT) permissions to the folders/files where you have the data and log files.

I added permissions for the domain account and the DBs were no longer marked as suspect. Small thing, but propably the first thing to try. FYI

• Interesting - did you get any helpful messages in the error log or just the usual one about insufficient resources or inaccessible files?

Paul Randal
    CEO, SQLskills.com: Check out SQLskills online training!
    Blog:www.SQLskills.com/blogs/paul Twitter: @PaulRandal
    SQL MVP, Microsoft RD, Contributing Editor of TechNet Magazine
    Author of DBCC CHECKDB/repair (and other Storage Engine) code of SQL Server 2005

• Logs were very specific and helpful. OS errors stating "Access is Denied" on the data and log files. MSSQL errors also mention not being able to locate files.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply