suspect database after san failure

• We tried using a recovery tool and it has actualy retrieved a lot of data by reading the mdf file, which states that the mdf is not corrupted. we have one table in the db which is more than 15GB in size and this demo versions are not able to rescue.

• The mdf is corrupt, no matter what the tool tells you. You've got damage at least to the metadata, that's preventing the DB from going into emergency mode. There could well be more but since the DB won't go into emergency and can't have a checkDB run, there's no way to tell how sever it is.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail

how can we allow ad hoc updates to system catalogs in sql 2005?

• Hi Gail

in my test instance i have managed to changed the db status to mergency. this i was able to do so by putting the instance into single user mode and running the update command.

• Sunil Padarath (5/15/2010)

Hi Gail

in my test instance i have managed to changed the db status to mergency. this i was able to do so by putting the instance into single user mode and running the update command.

That is NOT the way to do emergency mode in SQL 2005. No idea if that's actually done anything, or just set the value in the system catalog. I don't think it's going to help, the error that you got earlier is schema corruption, which means CheckDB (which would be the next thing to run) will probably fail.

As a note, by updating the catalog in master, you've just lost all support for that SQL instance from MS, ever.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

I just wanted to let you know that, after so many years, your advice saved my customer from data loss and me from bringing the worst news a database support can bring.

Guess he learned to create backups now 😉 (We didn't setup his system, nor were we responsible for it)

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply